How many of you are currently employed (graduates only)?

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
In summary, a poll was conducted in the PF forum's Career Guidance section, asking how many members were currently employed or unemployed. The purpose of the poll was to get a snapshot of the demographics of PF forum, specifically the number of people employed or unemployed, with a focus on STEM graduates. The poll was open for 30 days and was intended for those who have completed their STEM studies. However, there were some concerns raised about the accuracy of the poll, as it only captured a sample of those who visited the thread in the Career Guidance forum and were willing to vote. It was also noted that the employment status of a person could vary depending on their location and field of study. Despite these limitations, the poll still aimed to provide a general

What is your current job status (STEM graduates only)

• Employed full-time

Votes: 32 72.7%
  • Employed part-time

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Unemployed

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Retired

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
russ_watters said:
Nitpicking it is pointless/counterproductive/insulting/disruptive.

Nitpicking is also a great way to learn. It's a shame people are so sensitive and unable to debate for fun these days, always so quick to take offense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Boolean Boogey said:
Nitpicking is also a great way to learn.

No, no it's not. Countless threads have been rendered ineffective because they have been derailed by someone who would rather nitpick than actually answer the posted question, and it's only because of the efforts of the Mentors that there are not an order of magnitude more.

This particular quibble is especially pointless. It boils down to "you could have asked a different question." Yes, he could have. But he didn't. He asked this one.

Likes guitarphysics, Jaeusm, russ_watters and 1 other person
Realistically, people attend a school, get a degree, and then start building a career. The career will morph and change over time. I could easily have gone into management, but I chose not to. Had I done so, I would not be working in a STEM field. So if StatGuy2000 had asked whether I was working on anything remotely related to my STEM major I'd have had to answer no.

We have to recognize that once you start building a career, your technical education may not always be the piece in use. I know one guy who got a STEM degree, went back for his MBA, and now is working at the executive level of the company. Is he a success? Hell yeah! And yet you can't tell from this survey whether he ended up at the executive level or whether he's running a coffee shop. No simple survey could tell you that and even if it could, it doesn't discuss the progression and how things came to be. Was it something in the education or was it the individual? Nature? Nurture? --Whatever.

This survey is probably just a curiosity itch that StatGuy2000 wanted to scratch. From here, perhaps we can figure out other questions to ask...

Good start, StatGuy!