How many positive integers x satisfy this logarithmic inequality?

Mr X
Homework Statement
How many positive integers x satisfy ##\log_{\frac x 8} (\frac{x^2} 4) < 7 + \log_2(\frac 8 x)##
Relevant Equations
Basic logarithamic rules
The whole solution is a bit long, which I'll attach but the part I'm stuck at is, assuming everything else above it is correct, is
4 < (log x - 3)(8-log x)

Note ; inequalities aren't technically taught yet in the course, so please try to make the solution not go too deep into that. If that isn't possible there's a high chance I've gone wrong before that step, hence I've uploaded the entire solution.

Attachments

• IMG20230808094713.jpg
    IMG20230808094713.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG20230808094717.jpg
    IMG20230808094717.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG20230808101736.jpg
    IMG20230808101736.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 47
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try plugging in ##x = 1, 2, 3 \dots## and see what happens?

Mr X said:
Homework Statement: How many positive integers x satisfy ##\log_{\frac x 8} (\frac{x^2} 4) < 7 + \log_2(\frac 8 x)##
Relevant Equations: Basic logarithamic rules

The whole solution is a bit long, which I'll attach but the part I'm stuck at is, assuming everything else above it is correct, is
4 < (log x - 3)(8-log x)

Assuming your logs are to base 2 then this is one of the possible solutions. It is convenient to use logs to base 2; then the left hand side is [tex]
\log_{x/8}(x^2/4) = 2\frac{ \log_2(x/4)}{\log_2(x/8)} = \frac{2 (\log_2 x - 1)}{\log_2 x - 3}[/tex] and the right hand side is [tex]7 + \log_2(8/x) = 10 - \log_2 x[/tex] so that if [itex]y = \log_2 x[/itex] then [tex]
\frac{2(y-1)}{y-3} < 10 - y.[/tex]

To solve this, we must multiply both sides by [itex]y - 3[/itex]. But this only preserves the inequality if [itex]y - 3 > 0[/itex], and in that case [tex]
y^2 - 11y + 28 < 0[/tex] which is as far as you got, but you then did not factorise this as [tex]
(y - 4)(y - 7) < 0.[/tex]

Alternatively, if [itex]y < 3[/itex] then we must reverse the inequality when multiplying both sides by [itex]y - 3[/itex], which leads to [tex](y - 4)(y - 7) > 0.[/tex]

Likes Mr X and nuuskur

1. What is a logarithmic inequality?

A logarithmic inequality is an inequality that contains a logarithm function. Logarithm functions are used to solve equations and inequalities involving exponential expressions. They are typically written in the form logb(x) where b is the base and x is the argument.

2. How do you solve a logarithmic inequality?

To solve a logarithmic inequality, you must first isolate the logarithmic expression on one side of the inequality. Then, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the expression in a simpler form. Finally, you can use algebraic techniques to solve for the variable and determine the range of values that satisfy the inequality.

3. What does it mean for a positive integer to satisfy a logarithmic inequality?

A positive integer satisfies a logarithmic inequality if it is a valid solution to the inequality. This means that when the positive integer is substituted for the variable in the inequality, the resulting statement is true.

4. How do you determine the number of positive integers that satisfy a logarithmic inequality?

To determine the number of positive integers that satisfy a logarithmic inequality, you must first solve the inequality for the variable. Then, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the expression in a simpler form. Finally, you can use algebraic techniques to determine the range of values that satisfy the inequality and count the number of positive integers within that range.

5. Can a logarithmic inequality have an infinite number of positive integer solutions?

Yes, a logarithmic inequality can have an infinite number of positive integer solutions. This occurs when the inequality is true for all positive integers within a certain range. For example, the inequality log2(x) < 3 is true for all positive integers x greater than 8, so there are infinitely many positive integer solutions.