How many ways are there for four men and five women ...

• Thread starter r0bHadz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, the possible combinations when selecting two women and two men are (1) WWMM, (2) WMWM, (3) MWMW, (4) MMWW, (5) WMMW, (6) MWWM, (7) MWWF, (8) WMWF, (9) WWFM, (10) MMWF, (11) MWMF, (12) WWMF. There are 9! = 362,880 ways to arrange the four men and five women in a line. The probability of selecting two women and two men at random is (5C2 * 4C2) / (9C4) = 10/21 =
r0bHadz

Homework Statement

How many ways are there for four men and five women to stand in a line so that

All men stand together?

All women stand together?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For all men stand together, you can group the 4 men as one token, then there are (1+5)! ways the men and women can stand in a line, but the four men can be arranged in 4! ways so the answer would be (1+5)!(4!) = (6!)(4!)

similar for women
let 5 women = one token, then you have (1+4)! but the 5 women can be arranged 5! ways so you have (5!)(5!) as the answer

is there anything I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Moderator's Note: Thread moved to pre-calculus math homework forum.

Likes SammyS
Men can go in positions 1-5, 2-6, etc.

Likes YoungPhysicist
WWGD said:
Men can go in positions 1-5, 2-6, etc.

So I am taking the 4 men as one line. There are 4! possible combinations for the men. Then, There are 5 women, and the group of four men which I'm considering as 1. There are 6! possible arrangements here.

Wouldn't "men can go in positions 1-5,2-6, etc" be under the (6!)?

r0bHadz said:

Homework Statement

How many ways are there for four men and five women to stand in a line so that

All men stand together?

All women stand together?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For all men stand together, you can group the 4 men as one token, then there are (1+5)! ways the men and women can stand in a line, but the four men can be arranged in 4! ways so the answer would be (1+5)!(4!) = (6!)(4!)

similar for women
let 5 women = one token, then you have (1+4)! but the 5 women can be arranged 5! ways so you have (5!)(5!) as the answer

is there anything I am missing?

That's right. You could have tested your approach with smaller numbers, perhaps 2 and 3.

PeroK said:
That's right. You could have tested your approach with smaller numbers, perhaps 2 and 3.

Sorry are both answers correct? WWGD's post has me a little paranoid lol

r0bHadz said:

Yes, the answers are correct.

That's another way to do it. For the men as a group, they have 6 possible positions (with the first man in position 1-2-3-4-5 or 6). Then it's ##6 \times 4! \times 5!##, which is the same as you got.

Likes WWGD and YoungPhysicist
r0bHadz said:
Don't worry, my reply agrees with PeroK's and yours.

1. How many ways can four men and five women be arranged in a row?

There are 9! = 362,880 ways to arrange four men and five women in a row.

2. How many ways can four men and five women be selected from a group of nine people?

There are 9C4 = 126 ways to select four men from a group of nine people, and 5C5 = 1 way to select five women. Therefore, there are 126 x 1 = 126 ways to select four men and five women from a group of nine people.

3. How many ways can four men and five women be paired up?

There are 4! = 24 ways to pair up four men, and 5! = 120 ways to pair up five women. Therefore, there are 24 x 120 = 2,880 ways to pair up four men and five women.

4. How many ways can four men and five women be divided into two groups?

There are 9C4 = 126 ways to divide four men into two groups, and 5C5 = 1 way to divide five women into two groups. Therefore, there are 126 x 1 = 126 ways to divide four men and five women into two groups.

5. How many ways can four men and five women be seated at a circular table?

There are (9-1)! = 8! = 40,320 ways to arrange nine people in a circle. However, since the four men and five women can be arranged in different ways within the circle, we need to divide by (4! x 5!) = 24 x 120 = 2,880. Therefore, there are 40,320 / 2,880 = 14 ways to seat four men and five women at a circular table.