How many ways one can put prime numbers to form 3 digit NIP?

In summary, the question is asking how many and which three-digit NIPs can be formed using only prime numbers. After finding 168 prime numbers below 1000, the conversation discusses the different ways in which these numbers can be grouped and arranged to form NIPs. There is some confusion about the definition of NIP and the exact requirements for forming the numbers, but the conversation ultimately suggests considering only single digit primes and avoiding duplicates when forming 3-digit and 2-digit primes.
Mrencko

Homework Statement

as listed above the question is how many and which three digit NIP can be formed whit the use of prime numbers[/B]

Homework Equations

nothing currently trying to understand[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

well i have found at least 168 primer numbers below 1000 i mean in the range of three digit,
and grouped in three groups:
numbers of 1 digit "4"
numbers of two digit "21"
numbers of three digit ""143"
as far i know this is a permutation because order matters so 717 is diferent of 177 and 771 so
i am thinking of like a billion of ways to put those numbers to form a NIP, my question is this is even doable?
how can i start to mix this to make to the final count of how many ways one can put all those numbers to form the NIPS
***** update: i think for the three digit numbers there is a rule of 3! on each one so making 6 ways to put that number so if i multiply that for 143 this gives me 858 ways in total but i don't know if this is correct, and its just for the three digit numbers
**** second update:
i permuted every 1 digit number whit every 2 digit number
11 and 2,3,5,7 ok then 112, 211,121. so 3!=6 then 6*4 the 4 represent the 1 digit numbers
24 is the total acoding to this so 24*21 21 represents the total 2 digit numbers, this gives to me
504 but previously i ve calculated the permutation of 3 digit numbers so using the prefix "and"
504*858=432432
i don't know if i am right can you help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is an NIP?

i guees the number for the bank and things like that only uses numbers and not letters

Do you mean PIN, personal identification number?

yes but in my homework says NIP

Can you find out how it is defined?

is in spanish "numero identificacion personal" check my lastest update

Ok, did not expect Spanish with that username. Seems you have the option for 3, of 4P3= ##\frac {4!}{1!}=4!=24 ## with just one digit. Then you can have combinations of a 1-digit prime in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd spot and a two-digit prime in the remaining two spots ( if you allow this; maybe you just allow a 1-digit prime in spot 1 and a 2-digit prime afterwards or a 1-digit prime in spot 3 and a two-digit prime in the first two spots, and then consider all the 3-digit primes.

so my analisis in the update its all right? or have some flaws

my new doubt is if do i need to multiply the results?
i mean the 24 forms of the 1 digit numbers, the 504 form for the two digit numbers and 1 digit number and the 858 form of the three digit numbers?
24*504*858=?

Mrencko said:
can be formed whit the use of prime numbers
This is too vague.
It could mean just using prime digits, or concatenating 1-, 2- and 3-digit primes.
I'm pretty sure it does not mean more convoluted uses like this:
Mrencko said:
i think for the three digit numbers there is a rule of 3! on each one so making 6 ways to put that number
If you allow that sort of thing then you can almost surely make every 3-digit number not ending in zero. Your multiply by 6 rule will in itself count duplicates, e.g.133 would be counted twice.

haruspex said:
This is too vague.
It could mean just using prime digits, or concatenating 1-, 2- and 3-digit primes.
I'm pretty sure it does not mean more convoluted uses like this:

If you allow that sort of thing then you can almost surely make every 3-digit number not ending in zero. Your multiply by 6 rule will in itself count duplicates, e.g.133 would be counted twice.
Yes, this is where I sort of got stuck. It seems to need a version of multinomial coefficients, you know, the Mississippi thing..

Mrencko said:
my new doubt is if do i need to multiply the results?
i mean the 24 forms of the 1 digit numbers, the 504 form for the two digit numbers and 1 digit number and the 858 form of the three digit numbers?
24*504*858=?
Look up multinomial coefficients. These help you answer, e.g., the number of permutations of a word like Mississippi ( with many repeats ) as ## \frac {11!}{2!4!4!} ##; 4 repeats for s, for for i and 4 for p.

yes i also think this is too vague, i will keep working on this and keep you updated.

Mrencko said:
yes i also think this is too vague, i will keep working on this and keep you updated.
My best guess is that the question just means using prime digits.

1 digit prime numbers?

Mrencko said:
1 digit prime numbers?
Yes. If it does not mean that, my next guess is using 3-digit prime numbers and concatenating 1-, and 2-digit prime numbers in either order, but certainly nothing more complicated than that.

Yes, I didn't tough about the repeating numbers in the 3 digit, ultimately I will ask my professor tomorrow and update, I only hope this don't come in the test

Mrencko said:
Yes, I didn't tough about the repeating numbers in the 3 digit, ultimately I will ask my professor tomorrow and update, I only hope this don't come in the test
It doesn't matter about repeating digits in a three digit prime as long as you don't allow reordering its digits.
What makes my second guess complicated (and therefore unlikely) is that you have to avoid three digit and two digit primes that can be made from one digit primes.
E.g. you can make 223 as 2,2,3 or 2,23 or 223, but must only count it once.
I recommend you to take the simplest view, just using single digit primes, and answer that.

1. How many ways can prime numbers be arranged to form a 3 digit NIP?

There are 90 different ways to arrange prime numbers to form a 3 digit NIP. This is because there are 10 possible combinations of the first two digits (10 x 9 = 90) and only one possible combination for the last digit.

2. What is the largest NIP that can be formed using prime numbers?

The largest NIP that can be formed using prime numbers is 997, as all three digits are prime numbers and it is the largest three-digit prime number.

3. Are there any NIPs that can be formed using only two prime numbers?

No, it is not possible to form a NIP using only two prime numbers. This is because a NIP must have three digits, and two prime numbers would only result in a two-digit number.

4. How many NIPs can be formed using prime numbers that are also palindromes?

There are 10 NIPs that can be formed using prime numbers that are also palindromes. These include 313, 353, 727, and 919, among others.

5. What is the probability of randomly selecting a NIP formed by prime numbers?

The probability of randomly selecting a NIP formed by prime numbers is approximately 0.11%. This is because out of all possible three-digit numbers, only 25 are prime numbers, and out of those 25, only 10 can be formed into a NIP.