How much does the McLane sampler weigh in water?

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to design a buoyant housing for an electrical core that can be neutrally buoyant at desired depths. They are looking at the specifications of similar equipment online, and are confused about the weights provided for the core and pressure housing, as they are listed as "buoyant" instead of a specific weight. They seek clarification on whether the weight in water should be less and if the ballast tanks need to be filled for the measurement. The conversation ends with a request for the specific type and model of the equipment being discussed.
j7888
I am trying to design the housing for an electrical core so that it remains buoyant on the surface but can be neutrally buoyant at desired depths through ballast tanks.

I am trying to figure out what the core and housing may typically weigh through specifications online of ones already made.

However, the weight in air for core and pressure housing is 102.1kg buoyant while the weight in seawater for core and pressure housing is 150kg buoyant.

I've never seen buoyant after a weight like that and I'm a little confused if it just means it weighs 150 kg. Shouldn't the weight be less in the water? The only thing I can think of is that the ballast tanks of the housing must be open and filled with water for this measurement?

Can anyone help me understand this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
j7888 said:
I am trying to design the housing for an electrical core so that it remains buoyant on the surface but can be neutrally buoyant at desired depths through ballast tanks.

I am trying to figure out what the core and housing may typically weigh through specifications online of ones already made.

However, the weight in air for core and pressure housing is 102.1kg buoyant while the weight in seawater for core and pressure housing is 150kg buoyant.

I've never seen buoyant after a weight like that and I'm a little confused if it just means it weighs 150 kg. Shouldn't the weight be less in the water? The only thing I can think of is that the ballast tanks of the housing must be open and filled with water for this measurement?

Can anyone help me understand this?
It's not clear to me, either.

Can you provide the links for this equipment which quotes these weights?

SteamKing said:
It's not clear to me, either.

Can you provide the links for this equipment which quotes these weights?

http://www.mclanelabs.com/master_page/product-type/samplers/environmental-sample-processorenvironmental-sample-processor

The specs are in the data sheet on the left menu

j7888 said:
http://www.mclanelabs.com/master_page/product-type/samplers/environmental-sample-processorenvironmental-sample-processor

The specs are in the data sheet on the left menu
Thanks for the link.

However, the manufacturer has re-organized his web page somewhat. When I click on this link, it tells me that the page couldn't be found, and then directs me to a product library.

Could you specify exactly the type and model of the equipment you're trying to use?

What is "weight given as buoyant"?

"Weight given as buoyant" refers to the measurement of an object's weight when it is submerged in a fluid, taking into account the buoyant force acting on it.

How is the weight given as buoyant calculated?

The weight given as buoyant is calculated by subtracting the weight of the displaced fluid from the object's actual weight. This is based on Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces.

Why is weight given as buoyant important?

Weight given as buoyant is important because it allows us to accurately measure the true weight of an object, taking into account the buoyant force exerted by the fluid it is submerged in. This is especially useful in applications such as shipbuilding and submarine design.

What factors can affect the weight given as buoyant?

The weight given as buoyant can be affected by the density of the fluid, the size and shape of the object, and the depth of the object in the fluid. It is also important to note that the weight given as buoyant will be different in different fluids.

How is weight given as buoyant used in scientific research?

In scientific research, weight given as buoyant is used to study the properties of different fluids, and to determine the density and composition of objects. It is also used in experiments involving buoyancy and to understand the behavior of fluids and objects in various environments.