How Much Energy Is Needed to Decompose 765g of PCl3?

In summary: Now use the amount you have in moles of the substance and apply the equation for enthalpy.In summary, to decompose 765 g of PCl3, 5.566 mol of PCl3 is needed. Using the equation for enthalpy, this amount of PCl3 would require 6.72 x 103 kJ of energy, assuming no other factors are involved.
KTiaam

Homework Statement

How much energy is required to decompose 765 g of PCl3, according to the reaction below? The molar mass of PCl3 is 137.32 g/mol and may be useful.

4 PCl3(g) → P4(s) + 6 Cl2(g) ΔH°rxn = +1207 kJ

The Attempt at a Solution

765 g PCl3 x 4 mol PCl3/137.32 g PCl3 = 22.28 mol PCl3

22.28 mol PCL3 x 1207 kJ/4 mol PCl3 = 6.72 x 103 kJ

Which is incorrect...I converted from grams to mols then i converted mols to kJ, which did not give me the correct answer.
Im probably using a wrong sign somewhere or completely approaching the problem correctly.

Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
KTiaam said:

Homework Statement

How much energy is required to decompose 765 g of PCl3, according to the reaction below? The molar mass of PCl3 is 137.32 g/mol and may be useful.

4 PCl3(g) → P4(s) + 6 Cl2(g) ΔH°rxn = +1207 kJ

The Attempt at a Solution

765 g PCl3 x 4 mol PCl3/137.32 g PCl3 = 22.28 mol PCl3

22.28 mol PCL3 x 1207 kJ/4 mol PCl3 = 6.72 x 103 kJ

Which is incorrect...I converted from grams to mols then i converted mols to kJ, which did not give me the correct answer.
Im probably using a wrong sign somewhere or completely approaching the problem correctly.

Thank you for your help

The highlighted operators are incorrect. Pay attention to number of moles in the equation for enthalpy.

Bystander said:
The highlighted operators are incorrect. Pay attention to number of moles in the equation for enthalpy.

the number of moles is 4? I got 4 from the balanced equation?could you explain more on what I'm doing wrong?

Step at a time: PCL3 is 137.32 gram per mole (gram mole, gram molecular weight), also written 137.32 g/mol. How many moles in 765 g?

I would first clarify the units used in the given reaction. The given reaction is in kJ, which means the energy change is in kilojoules. Therefore, the energy required to decompose 765 g of PCl3 should also be expressed in kilojoules.

Next, I would check the stoichiometric ratio in the given reaction. The ratio is 4 moles of PCl3 to 1207 kJ. This means that for every 4 moles of PCl3 decomposed, 1207 kJ of energy is required. However, in the solution provided, the conversion factor used is 4 mol PCl3/137.32 g PCl3. This conversion factor is incorrect because it does not take into account the stoichiometric ratio in the given reaction.

Therefore, the correct solution would be:

765 g PCl3 x 1 mol PCl3/137.32 g PCl3 x 1207 kJ/4 mol PCl3 = 2.22 x 103 kJ

This means that 2.22 x 103 kJ of energy is required to decompose 765 g of PCl3 according to the given reaction.

1. What is thermodynamics chemistry?

Thermodynamics chemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of the relationship between energy and chemical reactions. It focuses on understanding how energy is transferred and transformed during chemical reactions.

2. Why is thermodynamics important in chemistry?

Thermodynamics is important in chemistry because it helps us understand the direction and extent of chemical reactions. It also allows us to predict the energy changes that occur during reactions and determine the most efficient conditions for a reaction to occur.

3. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The three laws of thermodynamics are:

1. First law: Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.
  2. Second law: The total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.
  3. Third law: As temperature approaches absolute zero, the entropy of a pure crystalline substance approaches zero.

4. How is thermodynamics chemistry applied in real life?

Thermodynamics chemistry has many practical applications in everyday life, including the production of energy from fuels, refrigeration and air conditioning, and the production of materials such as plastics and pharmaceuticals.

5. What is the difference between thermodynamics and kinetics in chemistry?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations in chemical reactions, while kinetics is the study of the rate at which these reactions occur. In other words, thermodynamics tells us if a reaction is favorable, while kinetics tells us how fast it will happen.