How much Gravity is needed to bend light?

In summary, according to GR, energy, momentum, and pressure all contribute to gravity, not just mass. This can be explained by the stress-energy tensor in Einstein's equation. Therefore, even things with zero mass can bend light due to their energy and momentum.
ARC123
By gravity I mean the mass of a object capable of bending light. I don't want a explanation too say about how or why it will bend, just want the mass in numbers or equation please.

Science news on Phys.org
Any mass at all will bend light. Gm/(r*c^2) where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass you're considering, r is the radius from the center of mass to the light path, c is the speed of light. The result is in radians. I saw a rough calculation that says the mass of the Earth can bend a beam about 10^-9 radians.

ARC123 said:
By gravity I mean the mass of a object capable of bending light. I don't want a explanation too say about how or why it will bend, just want the mass in numbers or equation please.
From what I've read, things with zero mass can bend light.

pervect said:
Feb 3, 2007
Yes. To amplify this point a bit, in GR, one can say that energy, momentum, and pressure (and not just mass) causes gravity. Specifically, the density of energy and momentum and also pressure are components of an entity called the "stress-energy tensor" that appears on the right hand side of Einstein's equation. This "stress energy tensor" can be regarded as the "source" of gravity in General relativity.

Since light has energy and momentum, it causes gravity. The idea that only "mass" causes gravity is a carryover from Newtonian theory, things are different in GR.

It's beyond my comprehension how it works. But since @pervect is staff emeritus, I'm inclined to go with their answer. :smile:

1. How does gravity bend light?

Gravity bends light by warping the fabric of space-time. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, massive objects like planets and stars create a curvature in space-time, causing light to follow a curved path around them.

2. Does the strength of gravity affect the bending of light?

Yes, the strength of gravity does affect the bending of light. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull and therefore the more it will bend light. This is why massive objects like black holes can bend light to a very high degree.

3. How much gravity is needed to bend light?

The amount of gravity needed to bend light depends on the mass of the object and the distance between the object and the light. Generally, the closer the light is to the object and the more massive the object is, the more it will bend the light.

4. Can we see the effects of gravity bending light in everyday life?

Yes, we can see the effects of gravity bending light in everyday life. For example, the bending of light by the Sun's gravity causes the phenomenon of gravitational lensing, where distant objects appear distorted or magnified. This can be observed during a solar eclipse when the Sun's gravity bends light from distant stars.

5. Is there a limit to how much gravity can bend light?

There is no limit to how much gravity can bend light. In theory, a black hole with infinite mass would have an infinite gravitational pull and could bend light to an infinite degree. However, in reality, there are other factors that can limit the bending of light, such as the speed of light and the distance between the object and the light.