How much heat can radionuclides in HLNW generate?

• Thread starter joknhial
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary: To get 200 MW you'd need to harvest from many reactors at once.In summary, the United Kingdom has a large amount of nuclear waste and the question is raised about the radionuclides that make up the majority of it, their decay modes, half-lives, and decay heat emissions. There is also discussion about a potential method for using nuclear waste to generate energy, but it has been deemed too expensive based on previous studies and the decrease in decay heat over time after a reactor is shut down.
joknhial
The united kingdom has a 120 tons of nuclear waste, i have no idea which radionuclides constitute the largest portion, i want to know this. furthermore, if you can find which radionuclide it is, can you please tell me the decay mode it uses, its half life, and if it emits any decay heat. Thank you very much in advance. I know I don't live in the UK, but the UK has the largest civilian reserves for radioactive substances, hence the the reference. I'm thinking of devising a method, where nuclear waste is used to generate surplus energy. you send a highly volatile yet abundant liquid such as dry cleaner fluid or previously heated water ( has a lower boiling point) through a beta or alpha irradiated chamber with radionuclides that produce vast of amounts decay heat, in the range of 200 mega watts. this heated liquid will spin a turbine, generating electricity.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread moved to nuclear engineering forum.

We have some nuclear engineers here who can probably answer the specifics. But my gut tells me that while it's a nice idea, but an obvious one and so if it were economical it would already be done.

russ_watters said:
Thread moved to nuclear engineering forum.

We have some nuclear engineers here who can probably answer the specifics. But my gut tells me that while it's a nice idea, but an obvious one and so if it were economical it would already be done.
Hi, thanks for the quick reply, i was also thinking of that, it is a very simple idea indeed, however i have not taken the economical dimensions into my consideration. it would be great to hear back from some nuclear engineers.

This has been studied multiple times, and it is too expensive. Nuclear reactors are designed in the GW-range for a good reason, 200 MW thermal (where does that number come from?) wouldn't allow to sell enough electricity to make it worth building a power plant.

The decay heat decreases rapidly once the reactor is shut down. For a typical commercial power reactor here's a breakdown showing how the decay power reduces over time. This is the decay power, as a percent of the steady-state operating power of the reactor:

$$\begin{pmatrix}
1 & second & 6.599\\
1 & hour & 1.454\\
1 & day & 0.625\\
1 & month & 0.182\\
1 & year & 0.040\\
3 & year & 0.013
\end{pmatrix}$$
So for a typical 3400 MW core, the decay power 3 years after shutdown is only ~450 kW.

1. How is heat generated by radionuclides in high-level nuclear waste (HLNW)?

The heat generated by radionuclides in HLNW is a result of the radioactive decay process. As the unstable atoms decay, they release energy in the form of heat. This process continues until the atoms become stable, which can take thousands of years.

2. How much heat can radionuclides in HLNW generate?

The amount of heat generated by radionuclides in HLNW varies depending on the type and amount of radioactive material present. On average, one ton of spent nuclear fuel can generate about 20 million kilowatt-hours of heat, which is equivalent to about 2,000 homes' annual energy usage.

3. What are the potential dangers of the heat generated by radionuclides in HLNW?

The main concern with the heat generated by radionuclides in HLNW is the potential for it to cause overheating and damage to storage facilities. If the heat is not properly managed and controlled, it can also pose a risk to the environment and surrounding communities.

4. How is the heat generated by radionuclides in HLNW managed and controlled?

The heat generated by radionuclides in HLNW is managed and controlled through a combination of cooling systems and proper storage techniques. This can include using water or air to cool the waste, as well as storing it in specially designed containers and facilities that can withstand high temperatures.

5. How long will the heat generated by radionuclides in HLNW last?

The heat generated by radionuclides in HLNW can last for thousands of years, depending on the type and amount of radioactive material present. It is important to properly manage and monitor this heat to ensure the safety and stability of storage facilities and the surrounding environment for generations to come.