How much load can 1/8" A36 steel carry?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person seeking advice on the ability of supports made from 1/8" thick A36 steel to withstand a maximum load of 300-350lb without deforming. While some suggestions are given, the overall consensus is that it is best to seek the help of a mentor in person rather than relying on online advice.
ChewyFur
Hello,

I was hoping anyone with some experience in the area could help me out ...as I know close to nothing at all about the matter.

I'm having supports manufactured for a piece of furniture. I expect maximum load to be 300-350lb. This would be distributed among 3 of these supports. Each is about 16" long / 5" tall / 1.75" wide. I intend to have it made using 1/8" thick A36 steel.

Am I in the ballpark as far as the ability of these supports to maintain this kind of load without deforming (even temporarily), am I underestimating, way overdoing it...?

Thanks so much

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 12.16.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 12.16.46 AM.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 552
Engineering news on Phys.org
So you're willing to have a scenario where someone visits you, collapses your chair (or whatever), sues you, and laughs his butt off when your defense in court is "but gee, your honor, some guys on an internet forum said it would be fine". Good luck with that.

Likes berkeman
ChewyFur said:
Hello,

I was hoping anyone with some experience in the area could help me out ...as I know close to nothing at all about the matter.

I'm having supports manufactured for a piece of furniture. I expect maximum load to be 300-350lb. This would be distributed among 3 of these supports. Each is about 16" long / 5" tall / 1.75" wide. I intend to have it made using 1/8" thick A36 steel.

Am I in the ballpark as far as the ability of these supports to maintain this kind of load without deforming (even temporarily), am I underestimating, way overdoing it...?

Thanks so much
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
phinds said:
So you're willing to have a scenario where someone visits you, collapses your chair (or whatever), sues you, and laughs his butt off when your defense in court is "but gee, your honor, some guys on an internet forum said it would be fine". Good luck with that.
As phinds says, we are not able to help you with this. Your best bet is to find a Mentor in your area, so that they can help you in your shop and with calculations like this. Thread is closed.

1. What is A36 steel?

A36 steel is a commonly used type of mild steel that is known for its strength, ductility, and low cost. It is often used in construction and structural applications due to its high strength-to-weight ratio.

2. What does 1/8" A36 steel mean?

The term 1/8" refers to the thickness of the steel, which is equal to 0.125 inches. A36 steel is the specific type of steel being referenced, indicating that it meets the requirements for this particular grade of steel.

3. How is the load capacity of A36 steel determined?

The load capacity of A36 steel is determined through a series of tests and calculations. The maximum load that A36 steel can carry is dependent on factors such as the cross-sectional area, length, and type of loading (i.e. compression, tension, bending, etc.). Engineers use various formulas and equations to determine the load capacity of A36 steel for specific applications.

4. What is the maximum load that 1/8" A36 steel can carry?

The maximum load that 1/8" A36 steel can carry depends on several factors, including the type of load, length of the steel, and the shape and size of the cross-section. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to determine the specific load capacity for your particular application.

5. Are there any limitations to the load capacity of 1/8" A36 steel?

Like any material, there are limitations to the load capacity of 1/8" A36 steel. It is important to consider factors such as the strength and stiffness of the steel, as well as any potential stress concentrations or weaknesses in the structure. Additionally, A36 steel has a yield strength and ultimate tensile strength, meaning it will deform and fail at a certain point under excessive load. These limitations should be carefully considered when designing structures with A36 steel.