How much pressure needed for pneumatic cylinders to lift?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of needing to raise and lower the roof of van bodies for a company specialized in building them. The estimated lifting weight is 400-500 kg, which could increase with snow. It is determined that 6-8 pneumatic cylinders will be needed, with an acceptable maximum air pressure of 100 psi. The total piston area needed is at least 11 square inches, which can be achieved with 6 cylinders of 2 square inches each. It is suggested to distribute the cylinders evenly and use different diameter cylinders to balance the load. Mechanical balancing will also be needed to keep the body level during the lift.
Robert987
Hello,

I work for a company specialized in building van bodies. The problem is our engineer left and I know nothing about pneumatics.

The customer's requirement is to be able to raise and lower the roof by up to 1 m. The box bodies are 7-8 meters long, so I think 6-8 pneumatic cylinders will be required (3-4 for each side) just for the sake of even force distribution. The estimated lifting weight is 400-500 kg because the rear door frame has to be lifted too. This number could increase with snow.

I need to determine how much pressure is needed in the system for the cylinders to be able to lift in order to determine if it's even doable.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Many thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Force = Pressure * Area of piston.

Distribute your cylinders so that each carries the same load per area of piston. That way they will all lift at the same pressure. You could also use different diameter cylinders to balance the load. You will probably need some form of mechanical balancing so all cylinders advance at the same rate and the body remains level during the lift.

Is it possible?
An acceptable maximum air pressure is say 100 psi = 690 kPa.
The total 500kg is about 1100 pounds.
So total piston area needed will be a minimum of 11 square inches.
12 square inches would be 6 cylinders of 2 square inches each.
Area = πr2 therefore piston diameter would be 2 * √ ( area / π )
Diameter = 2 * √ ( 2.0 / π ) = 1.6 inches diameter.

That is available without problems.

1. What is the formula for calculating the necessary pressure for pneumatic cylinders to lift?

The formula for calculating the necessary pressure for pneumatic cylinders to lift is: Pressure = (Force ÷ Area) + Atmospheric Pressure. This takes into account the force needed to lift the load and the atmospheric pressure acting on the cylinder.

2. How do I determine the appropriate cylinder size for a specific lifting task?

To determine the appropriate cylinder size for a specific lifting task, you will need to calculate the total force required to lift the load and then select a cylinder with a bore size that can provide that amount of force. Keep in mind that the cylinder should also have enough stroke length to fully extend and lift the load.

3. Can I use a smaller cylinder with higher pressure to achieve the same lifting force?

Yes, you can use a smaller cylinder with higher pressure to achieve the same lifting force. However, this may result in faster wear and tear on the cylinder due to the increased pressure, so it is important to consider the overall lifespan and cost effectiveness of this approach.

4. Is there a maximum pressure limit for pneumatic cylinders?

Yes, there is a maximum pressure limit for pneumatic cylinders. This limit is typically determined by the manufacturer and should be indicated in the product specifications. It is important to stay within this limit to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the cylinder.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the required pressure for pneumatic cylinders to lift?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the required pressure for pneumatic cylinders to lift, such as the weight of the load, the angle of the cylinder, and any friction or resistance in the system. It is important to consider these factors when calculating the necessary pressure for a lifting task.