How much risk with first nuclear explosion test?

In summary: For example, the "tickling the dragon's tail" experiments.But overall, I think the project was incredibly fortunate in that there were no more catastrophes.
Robert P
How sure were those involved with the first nuclear explosion test that there wouldn't be an unanticipated reaction of the explosion continuing beyond the material intended? I.e. that the Earth wouldn't go up in a ball of fire, the scientist's last utterance wouldn't be "Oops..."?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Robert P said:
How sure were those involved with the first nuclear explosion test that there wouldn't be an unanticipated reaction of the explosion continuing beyond the material intended? I.e. that the Earth wouldn't go up in a ball of fire, the scientist's last utterance wouldn't be "Oops..."?
Completely certain.

[Edit] You might be referring to this:
https://www.insidescience.org/manhattan-project-legacy/atmosphere-on-fire

Last edited:
Likes Robert P
  • Informative
Likes Astronuc, Robert P, dlgoff and 1 other person
russ_watters said:
Completely certain.

[Edit] You might be referring to this:
https://www.insidescience.org/manhattan-project-legacy/atmosphere-on-fire
It was just something that occurred to me contemplating the topic. "Well, the reaction is *supposed* to happen a certain way, whaddya say guys - throw the switch and see what happens?" And all those rockets weren't supposed to splatter on the launch pad either.

Thanks for the link!

The short answer is that they thought of that possibility. They investigated it. They concluded that it can't happen.

Likes Astronuc and dlgoff
caz said:
Here’s the 1946 Los Alamos report “Ignition of the Atmosphere with Nuclear Bombs” by Konopinski, Marvin and Teller.
There was a concern based on the temperature that the fission device would generate. However, the atmosphere is too thin and unconstrained such that fusion cross-sections are way to low, and scattering and radiation would disperse the energy.

The Trinity Test demonstrated that a self-sustaining reaction in the atmosphere would not occur, as did the deployment of nuclear detonations over Hiroshima (gun-type, enriched U) and Nagasaki (implosion-type, Pu), as did subsequent atmospheric tests by US, Russian, UK, China and France.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_testing#Nuclear_testing_by_country

Likes dlgoff and russ_watters
Astronuc said:
The Trinity Test demonstrated that a self-sustaining reaction in the atmosphere would not occur, as did the deployment of nuclear detonations over Hiroshima (gun-type, enriched U) and Nagasaki (implosion-type, Pu), as did subsequent atmospheric tests by US, Russian, UK, China and France.
Follow-up question: in the early days, how certain were they that the bombs would work? Were there any unsuccessful tests? My understanding was that they were highly certain and the bombs were exceptionally reliable.

russ_watters said:
in the early days, how certain were they that the bombs would work? Were there any unsuccessful tests?
Not of bombs. They were so confident about the gun-type design that the didn't even try to test it prior to dropping the Hiroshima bomb. They ran the Trinity test, which was successful, because the implosion design had some tricky issues regarding timing and they wanted to make sure that their solutions for that, which had nothing to do with the nuclear physics involved (they knew the criticality requirements for plutonium quite well from experiments) but were just traditional, though intricate, bomb detonation design, would work well enough to get a reasonable nuclear yield.

Likes Astronuc and russ_watters
Here is Hans Bethe's recollection of the atmosphere thing:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/bethe-teller-trinity-and-the-end-of-earth/
anorlunda said:
The short answer is that they thought of that possibility. They investigated it. They concluded that it can't happen.
Of course the this begs mention of the Castle Bravo test which, while not a planet-ending event, did provide a yield of 15 Megaton which was three times the expected result. This resulted in at least one death and imperiled the near observation team.

Likes Robert P and russ_watters
russ_watters said:
My understanding was that they were highly certain and the bombs were exceptionally reliable.
As per my post #9, yes, they were. But it's worth noting that a big part of the reason they were is that they ran some experiments that, today, we would consider foolhardy, such as the "tickling the dragon's tail" experiments. Looking back, I think the Manhattan Project and its immediate follow-ons after the war were quite lucky that there weren't more serious accidents. (I say "more" because the number was not zero: see, for example, the criticality accident that ended up killing Louis Slotin.)

Likes russ_watters
russ_watters said:
Follow-up question: in the early days, how certain were they that the bombs would work? Were there any unsuccessful tests? My understanding was that they were highly certain and the bombs were exceptionally reliable.
Trinity test (July 16, 1945) was the first and only test of a device before deployment of weapons at Hiroshima (August 6, 1945) and Nagasaki (August 9, 1945). PeterDonis in post #9 explains quite well the thinking at the time.

hutchphd said:
Of course the this begs mention of the Castle Bravo test which, while not a planet-ending event, did provide a yield of 15 Megaton which was three times the expected result. This resulted in at least one death and imperiled the near observation team.
I do remember stories of tests that didn't achieve expected yield, and those that produce more and much more.

Likes russ_watters
Astronuc said:
I do remember stories of tests that didn't achieve expected yield, and those that produce more and much more.
The Castle Bravo test was singular because there was a truly fundamental theoretical omission in the nuclear physics. This was the first test using Lithium Deuteride and before the Castle Bravo nuclear weapons test in 1954, it was thought that only the less common isotope 6Li would breed tritium when struck with fast neutrons. The Castle Bravo test showed (accidentally and emphatically) that the more plentiful 7Li also does so.
This produced the largest thermonuclear explosion in US testing; exceeded only by the Soviet "Tsar Bomba" on planet.

Likes Astronuc
hutchphd said:
anorlunda said:

That's certainly in the "Oops" realm.

I wonder how sure were they that for example there wasn't a threshold beyond which their notions of why it shouldn't happen might not hold true.

Robert P said:
I wonder how sure were they that for example there wasn't a threshold beyond which their notions of why it shouldn't happen might not hold true.
Think on a broader scale. How can you quantify the risk of the unknown in any experiment in any field? If you and your mate spawn a new embryo, what is the risk that you create a mutant that will wipe out other people? You say, "Zero risk." Someone else says, "Prove that." That is not a rational discussion.

[It makes me think of Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, and "the mule."]

Likes Astronuc and phinds
anorlunda said:
That is not a rational discussion.
But it does lead directly to Donald Rumsfeld. Was the Castle Bravo incident a "known unknown" or an "unknown unknown" ?

Likes russ_watters
hutchphd said:
But it does lead directly to Donald Rumsfeld. Was the Castle Bravo incident a "known unknown" or an "unknown unknown" ?
I had to go look that up.
This has led me classify unknowns into one of the following two types: 1. known unknowns (expected or foreseeable conditions), which can be reasonably anticipated but not quantified based on past experience as exemplified by case histories (in Appendix A) and 2. Unknown unknowns (unexpected or unforeseeable conditions), which pose a potentially greater risk simply because they cannot be anticipated based on past experience or investigation. Known unknowns result from recognized but poorly understood phenomena. On the other hand, unknown unknowns are phenomena which cannot be expected because there has been no prior experience or theoretical basis for expecting the phenomena.
Clearly, the OP is asking about the unknowns unknowns in the first atomic explosion.

Castle Bravo was a very different case. As I recall it from the history, it was more of an oversight than a unknown risk. Someone who was tallying the contributions of different isotopes, simply overlooked including Lithium 7. Or they overlooked that the lithium present had so much Lithium 7. A clerical error either way. Human error is always a known unknown.

But I fail to see any connection between Castle Bravo and the OP's question.
Robert P said:

anorlunda said:
But I fail to see any connection between Castle Bravo and the OP's question.
It is my (very rudimentary) understanding that the processes involved with 7Li required extremes in T and P that had simply not been previously accessed. I believe that natural Li is nearly 90% 7Li and so this was not a trivial error. I believe it was an unknown unknown and not simply an oversight.
Given sufficient effort it could have been known, but at the time (fraught with hurryup) it was truly unknown I believe. The OP question was a similar unknown about atmospheric N

Indidentally it always causes me pain to quote Rumsfeld but give the devil his due: the concept is useful. Also I try not to quote anyone named Donald.

I read Dark Sun too many years ago to remember all the details. But the Castle Bravo incident was discussed in detail in that book.

Dark Sun: The Making Of The Hydrogen Bomb by Richard Rhodes

I could have sworn I had a copy on my shelf but apparently not... it has been a while for me too.

hutchphd said:
I just watched a video about it - it impacted thousands of islanders and the crew of a fishing ship resulting in illness, disease and death.

Beyond the scientific screwup it was yet another ethical failure on the part of the US government which initially tried to deny the scope of the harm caused.

Teller sounds like a real warm 'n fuzzy guy.

It’s unreasonable to make such a big deal over the death of a fisherman.

Last edited:
Ther Richard Rhodes book is very good so I second @anorlunda

1. What are the potential risks associated with the first nuclear explosion test?

The potential risks associated with the first nuclear explosion test include radiation exposure, environmental damage, and potential health effects on nearby populations.

2. How is the risk of a nuclear explosion test measured?

The risk of a nuclear explosion test is measured by evaluating the potential consequences and likelihood of accidents or malfunctions during the testing process.

3. What safety measures are taken to minimize the risk of a nuclear explosion test?

Safety measures taken to minimize the risk of a nuclear explosion test include thorough planning and testing, strict safety protocols, and extensive monitoring of radiation levels.

4. Have there been any accidents or disasters during previous nuclear explosion tests?

Yes, there have been several accidents and disasters during previous nuclear explosion tests, including the Chernobyl and Fukushima disasters.

5. How can the risks of a nuclear explosion test be mitigated?

The risks of a nuclear explosion test can be mitigated through thorough planning and risk assessment, strict safety protocols, and continuous monitoring and evaluation during the testing process.