How much weight can a given cork object hold afloat in water

In summary: He explains that the density of the cork should be less than the density of water it displaces in order to stay afloat. He also mentions that the weight of the object on top of the cork should be factored in when determining its buoyancy. However, the amount of weight the cork can hold will vary depending on its size and volume.
ipen
I know there may be different types of cork, but let's take the "average" cork used for cork board, at say, 0.24gm/cm^3. Let's say you make a boat out of that cork. I understand that the weight of water displaced should be greater than the object's total weight (e.g. density of cork less than the 1 gm/cm^3 of density of water). If cork's density is 0.24gm/cm^3, will cork hold something about 4 times its weight = three times greater added? Is it just the weight density equation, where weight density = weight/volume, and as long as the total density (cork weight + object weight)/(cork volume + object volume in water) is equal to or less than the density of water it displaces, then the buoyant force will keep it afloat? < Can I add the weights and density like I show to get the total density?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you mean a raft made of cork, and not a boat (which can hold more because of the cup shape). It depends on what you mean by afloat. Is it afloat if the cork is completely submerged, but the object on top of the cork is still floating? In that case, just take the average density of cork+load and compare it to the average density of the water. If you want to keep the load dry, then take the total weight divided by the cork volume, and compare it to the water density.

Likes davenn
and apart from what khashishi said

what you have asked is akin to asking " how long is a piece of string?"

you told us nothing about the size, area/volume of the bit of cork ... a few cubic cm ? a metre square and a metre thick or large area and thin ?

all variations will hold different amounts

Dave

Related to How much weight can a given cork object hold afloat in water

1. How does the weight of a cork object affect its ability to float in water?

The weight of a cork object directly affects its ability to float in water. The more weight the object has, the more water it will displace and the greater its buoyancy will be.

2. Can a cork object hold more weight in freshwater or saltwater?

A cork object will generally hold more weight in freshwater than in saltwater. This is because freshwater is less dense than saltwater, resulting in a higher buoyancy force.

3. What factors besides weight can affect a cork object's ability to float in water?

The density of the cork itself, the shape and size of the object, and the temperature and salinity of the water can all affect a cork object's ability to float in water.

4. Is there a limit to how much weight a cork object can hold afloat in water?

Yes, there is a limit to how much weight a cork object can hold afloat in water. This limit is determined by the buoyancy force of the water, which is dependent on the weight and volume of the object.

5. Can a cork object float indefinitely in water?

No, a cork object cannot float indefinitely in water. Eventually, the cork will become waterlogged and lose its buoyancy, causing it to sink. This process can be accelerated by exposing the cork to high temperatures or extreme pressure.