How should I write an account of prime numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to write an essay about prime numbers in arithmetic progressions and whether or not the formula a_n = 3+4n should be applied. It is suggested to read the Wikipedia article on this topic and summarize the information in one's own words for the essay. The speaker also asks for clarification on what is meant by "account" in this context.
Math100
How should I write an account of prime numbers in arithmetic progressions? Assuming this account should be in the form of an essay of at least ## 500 ## words. Should I apply the formula ## a_{n}=3+4n ## for ## 0\leq n\leq 2 ##? Can anyone please provide any idea(s)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The first sentence of Wiki you quoted says:In number theory, primes in arithmetic progression are any sequence of at least three prime numbers that are consecutive terms in an arithmetic progression. Doesn't it work for your purpose ?

Likes Math100
Can you provide more details. What is an account? Normally we think bank account or something similar.

Do you mean an essay?

Likes Math100
anuttarasammyak said:
The first sentence of Wiki you quoted says:In number theory, primes in arithmetic progression are any sequence of at least three prime numbers that are consecutive terms in an arithmetic progression. Doesn't it work for your purpose ?
I am not completely sure of whether or not this will work for my purpose.

jedishrfu said:
Can you provide more details. What is an account? Normally we think bank account or something similar.

Do you mean an essay?
I wish there are more details in this question, but no. The question states: "Write an account of prime numbers in arithmetic progressions. Your account should be in the form of an essay of 500-1000 words."

Read the Wikipedia article, then regurgitate the information in different words. This sounds like a silly project.

Likes Math100

1. What is an account of prime numbers?

An account of prime numbers is a written explanation or description of the concept of prime numbers, including their properties, patterns, and significance in mathematics.

2. How should I begin writing an account of prime numbers?

To begin writing an account of prime numbers, it is important to have a thorough understanding of what prime numbers are and how they are defined. This can include researching their history, properties, and applications in different fields of mathematics.

3. What should be included in an account of prime numbers?

An account of prime numbers should include a clear definition of prime numbers, their properties such as being divisible only by 1 and themselves, and examples of prime numbers. It should also discuss the importance of prime numbers in number theory and their applications in fields such as cryptography and computer science.

4. How should I organize my account of prime numbers?

There is no one correct way to organize an account of prime numbers, but it is important to have a logical flow and structure. You may choose to start with the definition and properties of prime numbers, followed by their significance and applications. Alternatively, you could organize your account by discussing the history of prime numbers and then delving into their properties and applications.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about prime numbers that should be addressed in an account?

Yes, there are several common misconceptions about prime numbers that should be addressed in an account. These include the misconception that 1 is a prime number, the belief that prime numbers are only useful in theoretical mathematics, and the idea that prime numbers follow a predictable pattern. It is important to address and correct these misconceptions in an account of prime numbers.