How to apply the disk/washer and shell methods

In summary, in Calculus II, students learn about solids of revolutions and how to compute their volumes. There are two methods that can be used - the disk/washer method and the shell method. The former is used when partitions are perpendicular to the axis of rotation and the function is given by y = f(x), while the latter is used when partitions are parallel to the axis of rotation and the function is given by x = f(y). Both methods can be used, but sometimes one may be more convenient for integration.
Steven_Scott
In Calculus II, we're learning about solids of revolutions and computing their volumes.

I'm unsure when to apply the appropriate methods and how to make the correct partitions.
Please tell me if my reasoning is correct:

The disk/washer method is applied when your partitions are perpendicular to the axis of rotation and you use perpendicular partitions when your function is given by [tex]y = f(x)[/tex].

The shell method is used when the partitions are parallel to the axis of rotations and you use horizontal partitions when the functions is given by [tex]x = f(y)[/tex].

Is this correct?

Thanks!

Steven

Physics news on Phys.org
Steven_Scott said:
Is this correct?
Pretty much. Disks/washers are perpendicular to the axis of rotation, and shells are sort of parallel to it. Typically, either method can be used, but sometimes one technique leads to an easier integration.

Another way to look at it is that the thin dimension of a disk or washer is one subinterval in your partition, while the thickness of a shell is one subinterval. For a given axis of rotation, disks/washers will have a partition interval along one coordinate axis, and shells will have a partition interval along the other coordinate axis.

1. What is the disk/washer method?

The disk/washer method is a technique used in integral calculus to find the volume of a solid of revolution. It involves slicing the solid into thin disks or washers, finding the volume of each slice, and then adding them together to get the total volume.

2. When should I use the disk/washer method?

The disk/washer method should be used when the shape being revolved around the axis of rotation is a solid cylinder or a hollow cylinder with a hole in the middle. It is also useful when the cross-sections of the solid are circular.

3. How do I set up the integral for the disk/washer method?

The integral for the disk/washer method is set up by finding the area of a single disk or washer, which is equal to the cross-sectional area of the solid multiplied by the thickness of the slice. This area is then integrated over the desired interval.

4. What is the difference between the disk and washer method?

The disk method is used when the slices of the solid are perpendicular to the axis of revolution, while the washer method is used when the slices are parallel to the axis of revolution. The washer method is typically used when the solid has a hole in the middle.

5. Can the disk/washer method be used for non-circular shapes?

No, the disk/washer method is only applicable for solids with circular cross-sections. For non-circular shapes, other methods such as the shell method or the method of cylindrical shells should be used.