How to avoid boiling/bubbling effect under vacuum?

In summary: The surface tension of the bubble as it forms must be building up energy prior to bursting and release. We do not know the form of the product or why the bubbles accumulate until they burst and splash.
Dr SAYEED
I have a process problem where my product is mixed with water and needs to be separated under low temperature range 5-10 deg C. I hope evaporation under vacuum is the only solution but the boiling effect is creating splash and want to avoid it. Prefreezing or lyophilization is not an option given the temperature range. If some body in the forum can help would be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like you need better control of your "vacuum" so that it is more like "low pressure". After all, you don't need to go to a hard vacuum to get evaporation but a hard vacuum would be more likely to cause rapid evaporation, thus "splash".

phinds said:
Sounds like you need better control of your "vacuum" so that it is more like "low pressure". After all, you don't need to go to a hard vacuum to get evaporation but a hard vacuum would be more likely to cause rapid evaporation, thus "splash".
Appreciate your reply also the concern is time and volume, for us 1 litre should evaporate with in 2-3 minutes or so then we transfer to sterile storage. Its a new challenge we came across and I am working on it.

rgds
Sayeed

how about floating a sterile, porous item on top of the liquid to quell the spalsh? Something like thin Styrofoam with lots of holes in it.

phinds said:
how about floating a sterile, porous item on top of the liquid to quell the spalsh? Something like thin Styrofoam with lots of holes in it.
Thanks for the idea, will give it a try :)

I am with phinds second post. Limiting the effects of the splash (or the undesirable effects of it) rather than preventing it happening in the first place probably gives you an easier set of problems to solve.

The surface tension of the bubble as it forms must be building up energy prior to bursting and release. We do not know the form of the product or why the bubbles accumulate until they burst and splash.

What is it about the product that allows bubbles to form. Could some surface modifier like a drop of oil or a de-foamer be added to prevent the bubbles forming. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defoamer

Maybe a mechanical or ultrasonic vibration would help the bubbles escape from the material before they can accumulate to a size that becomes a problem.

Related to How to avoid boiling/bubbling effect under vacuum?

1. Why does boiling/bubbling occur under vacuum?

Boiling or bubbling under vacuum occurs because of the decrease in pressure. When the pressure decreases, the boiling point of a liquid also decreases, causing it to boil or form bubbles even at lower temperatures.

2. How can I prevent boiling/bubbling under vacuum?

To prevent boiling or bubbling under vacuum, you can try using a more stable liquid or increasing the pressure in the vacuum chamber. You can also try lowering the temperature of the liquid to reduce its vapor pressure.

3. What are some common causes of boiling/bubbling under vacuum?

Boiling or bubbling under vacuum can be caused by a variety of factors such as using a volatile liquid, improper sealing of the vacuum chamber, or inadequate cooling of the liquid.

4. Can using a different type of vacuum pump help avoid boiling/bubbling effect?

Yes, using a different type of vacuum pump can help avoid boiling or bubbling under vacuum. For example, using a diaphragm pump instead of a rotary vane pump can reduce the risk of boiling or bubbling due to its lower ultimate pressure.

5. Are there any specific techniques or methods to prevent boiling/bubbling under vacuum?

Yes, there are several techniques and methods that can help prevent boiling or bubbling under vacuum. These include using a cold trap, pre-freezing the sample, and using a vacuum controller to carefully regulate the pressure in the chamber.