How to avoid gassing out from snowblower fumes

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
After 40 years I finally got a snowblower and wow does it pump out the fumes. Pretty sure I got a high and a headache. Any tips for dealing with this? Anyone wear a vapor mask?

Engineering news on Phys.org
7a71881890827c9685399ffcbddb9599.jpg

• Haha
  • Sad
Likes OmCheeto, berkeman and Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
After 40 years I finally got a snowblower and wow does it pump out the fumes. Pretty sure I got a high and a headache. Any tips for dealing with this? Anyone wear a vapor mask?
Sounds like a problem with the snowblower to me. There are electric blowers available. Depending on the snow load they may or may not be for you.

Averagesupernova said:
Sounds like a problem with the snowblower to me. There are electric blowers available. Depending on the snow load they may or may not be for you.
I bought a Snow Joe battery snowblower a few years ago and it didn't last a month :frown: My new gas is a Toro, so good brand.

Greg Bernhardt said:
My new gas is a Toro, so good brand.
Check the choke, and warm it up before loading/throwing snow.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and berkeman
Greg Bernhardt said:
My new gas is a Toro, so good brand.
Which model? Where is the exhaust positioned? Maybe you can rig up something to redirect the exhaust away from you and maybe up higher. Do you have any neighbors with similar models? Can you ask them if they have similar issues?

Likes Lnewqban
Bystander said:
Check the choke, and warm it up before loading/throwing snow.
This is an interesting point. I usually start with choke all the way back, start it, and then slam it to the front and smash through the snow lol, maybe too aggressive?
berkeman said:
Which model? Where is the exhaust positioned? Maybe you can rig up something to redirect the exhaust away from you and maybe up higher. Do you have any neighbors with similar models? Can you ask them if they have similar issues?
My neighbors is bad too, I get gassed out even a yard away from them. Perhaps I'm sensitive lol. Here is my model https://www.toro.com/en/product/38755
Lnewqban said:
Ha, I might need to look into this. Although from the looks, instead I need an exhaust pipe 10ft from me lol

I'd like to see a pic of the choke control.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I finally got a snowblower and wow does it pump out the fumes.

Greg Bernhardt said:
My neighbors is bad too, I get gassed out even a yard away from them. Perhaps I'm sensitive lol.
Modern small engines run cleaner than before EPA regulations forced cleaner operation, but still emit significant amounts of bad stuff, including hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and NOx. You could get a respirator with an organic vapor cartridge. Here's a randomly chosen link to an example: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000093371/. If your sensitivity is to hydrocarbons, the organic vapor cartridge should help.

I once used a respirator with an organic vapor cartridge when spraying auto body paint indoors. When the cartridge filled up, it went from working perfectly to not working at all in about one minute.

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
This is an interesting point. I usually start with choke all the way back, start it, and then slam it to the front and smash through the snow lol, maybe too aggressive?
As the engine warms up with the choke on, the exhaust will darken (the mixture is too rich). So adjust the choke leaner until you get a lighter exhaust color. Rinse and repeat until the choke is off, i.e. when the engine is fully warmed up.

The engine warms up faster under load and less easily when idling.

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Sorry, where does the exhaust exhaust from? I'd be looking or a way to channel that exhaust away from me...

Maybe you can run a hose from the engine exhaust into the chute. Since the chute is always (I hope) facing away from you, it should help.
No, not a garden hose!

Service stations, when working on vehicles indoors, often have a hose to slip over car exhausts that lead to outdoors. That's the hose style I'm envisioning.

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes Rive and Greg Bernhardt
Florida.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
the snow blower is designed to use exhaust gases to heat the carb air until the engine is warmed up. You choke it to start then kick the choke off until it idles steady, not surging like when it first starts. The manufacturer does not know where the snow blower will end up, Alaska, Ohio? You got to let her warm up then use it. Way to rich when you have a cold start. Once warmed the air / fuel ratio will be ok but cold start and racing only washes the cylinders with over rich gas, mucho fumes and makes oil dirty. That is why the exhaust is super shrouded.

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt and berkeman
Greg Bernhardt said:
Anyone wear a vapor mask?
The most deadly gases (CO, for instance) will pass through any mask that will also admit oxygen to breathe. You could pass out, despite the fact that there were no unpleasant vapours present.

The engine clearly needs atention - probably more than just the mixture control. People are frequently killed when operating small IC engines in enclosed spaces. Two stroke engines are the worst, I believe.

Maybe the problem could be minimised by operating the blower with the wind behind and with the fumes being blown forward. Plus, of course, a high wall of snow could be equivalent to operating indoors.
Ranger Mike said:
The manufacturer does not know where the snow blower will end up, Alaska, Ohio?
They may not even care!

Actually, any successful marketing sales organization will know the scope of the customer and must carte about them. This is why you do not see many snow blowers being shipped to Cozumel or Hawaii. The snow blower has to operate in zero F temperatures and the place the blower is stored will have a huge variance in temperatures. Maybe stored outside in freezing weather. So the product is designed to function in a large range of temperatures but to operate optimally it has the ability to idle until the carb surge stops and can be used effectively.
I doubt the new snow blower is out of spec. clearly needs attention.... Operator error most likely. As for people operating any IC in closed environment, .....:cool:

Likes sophiecentaur
Ranger Mike said:
Operator error most likely
It's very often a case of RTFM. But with @Greg Bernhardt ? I doubt it. On PF, he deals with much more difficult problems.

It's new and from a good brand. Solution could be to take it back to the dealer and get an opinion. Or maybe the local wind / airflow is unfavourable.

Let me ask this... do you smell fumes after plowing?

fyi - these IC have to burn lean and clean or can not sell in California so have been leanest ever. It is so bad the customer can not even adjust idle mix on weed wackers as the ports are sealed.

• Informative
Likes sophiecentaur
Ranger Mike said:
fyi - these IC have to burn lean and clean or can not sell in California so have been leanest ever. It is so bad the customer can not even adjust idle mix on weed wackers as the ports are sealed.
I imagine these and other such small machines wouldn't be economical to produce with proper engine management systems. That would solve the problem.

his problem.

He may not be the only one. Take a canary, for instance.

what are you talking about..
Personally, I know of no canary operating snow blowers. I may be wrong and am willing to admit this if shown proof. Some colder regions of the globe do have many trained service animals and birds with exceptional talents. Most commendable. Just have not seen or heard about a particular bird suffering from sensitive reactions to snow blower fumes. Can you state specifics please?

Last edited:
Canaries were used in coal mines to detect lethal but odourless gases below ground in the early days. They took them down there and got out, once the canary stopped singing or died.
A nice bit of history for you. Not only British history, I’m sure. Problem would be if the bird stopped singing, the noise from the blower would dominate.

I'm reminded that overland Antarctic tractor convoys sometimes found their speed and direction was too similar to the prevailing wind. Each tractor began to gas its crew and/or the one behind...

Such that crew of 'Tail End Charlie' could become significantly impaired...

So, they had to fit taller smoke-stacks, and 'tack' like sailing ships, to stay clear of their own fug.

As I understand it, 'modern' vehicles have catalytic convertors that mitigate such...

• Informative
Likes sophiecentaur
Greg Bernhardt said:
After 40 years I finally got a snowblower and wow does it pump out the fumes. Pretty sure I got a high and a headache. Any tips for dealing with this? Anyone wear a vapor

Never had this problem, and the location of your blowers the engines exhaust could possibly be the issue. Generally when I am using mine snow blower there is a lot of snow and usually some wind greater than 5 knots, so that helps.