How to calculate a perpendicular line?

In summary, to find the perpendicular line to a line connecting two points, you need to first find the slope of the line connecting those points. Then, the slope of the perpendicular line will be the negative reciprocal of that slope. Finally, you can use the same intercept value or choose a different one, depending on where you want the perpendicular line to intersect the original line.
msn009
Hi, i get the math that is involved but if I have only the x,y coordinates for 2 points to connect and if i want to know what will be the perpendicular line to the line connecting these two points, how can I do that?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I presume, given those points, that you can find the equation of the line connecting them and its slope. Given that, you can find the slope of the line perpendicular to that one. But there are many such lines.

yes there will be many possible lines.
when i mentioned that i understand the math, the examples given usually has numbers in it like y = 3x+2 but in my case i only have the x and y values, so which formula should i actually use? thanks.

msn009 said:
when i mentioned that i understand the math, the examples given usually has numbers in it like y = 3x+2
That's the slope-intercept form of the equation for a line: y = mx + b, where m is slope and b is the y-intercept. (Look it up!)

msn009 said:
but in my case i only have the x and y values, so which formula should i actually use?
Start by finding the slope.

msn009 said:
Hi, i get the math that is involved but if I have only the x,y coordinates for 2 points to connect and if i want to know what will be the perpendicular line to the line connecting these two points, how can I do that?

Find the slope connecting those two points (y2-y1/x2-x1). The perpendicular line is the negative inverse.

Last edited:
If the equation of your two points are y = mx+b, the perpendicular line to that will be every line that is
y = -(1/m)x+n where n ∈ ℝ
(Since you only care about if they are perpendicular or not and the line streches infinitely)

Last edited:
The slope of a line perpendicular to another line is just the negative reciprocal of the slope of the other line.

So, if you have a line where m=2, the slope of a line perpendicular to that line would be m=-1/2.

Likes YoungPhysicist
msn009 said:
yes there will be many possible lines.
when i mentioned that i understand the math, the examples given usually has numbers in it like y = 3x+2 but in my case i only have the x and y values, so which formula should i actually use? thanks.
If you have the equation of a line it is pretty simple to find a couple of points on that line.
If you have a couple of points on the line, it is pretty simple to find the equation of that line.
So whether you are starting from the equation o f the line or a couple of points on the line, there is only one extra step to the problem.

i have a line that connects from point A to point B and I am able to compute this line using its x,y coordinates and so now i need to find the slope of this line so that i can compute the line that will be perpendicular to this line.

msn009 said:
and so now i need to find the slope of this line
Use the definition of slope, which was given in an earlier post. Or just look it up! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slope

i get this part and i have compute the slope of the line from point A to B. what I don't understand now is the intercept value y=mx + b. I can compute the b value since I now have x, y and m values but should I use this same b value to compute the perpendicular line?

msn009 said:
i get this part and i have compute the slope of the line from point A to B. what I don't understand now is the intercept value y=mx + b. I can compute the b value since I now have x, y and m values but should I use this same b value to compute the perpendicular line?
As explained above, given two points you can find the equation of the line that connects them. But there is an infinite number of lines perpendicular to that one. Do you want that perpendicular line to intersect the first line at some particular point? Up to you!

1. How do I calculate the slope of a perpendicular line?

To calculate the slope of a perpendicular line, first find the slope of the original line by using the formula (y2-y1)/(x2-x1). Then, take the negative reciprocal of this slope to get the slope of the perpendicular line.

2. What is the equation of a perpendicular line?

The equation of a perpendicular line can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. Remember to take the negative reciprocal of the original slope to find the slope of the perpendicular line.

3. Can I use the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the length of a perpendicular line?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem is used to calculate the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle. To find the length of a perpendicular line, you will need to use the distance formula or the slope formula.

4. How do I find the point of intersection between two perpendicular lines?

To find the point of intersection between two perpendicular lines, set the equations of the lines equal to each other and solve for the x and y values. This will give you the coordinates of the point where the two lines intersect.

5. Can I use the slope-intercept form to write the equation of a perpendicular line?

Yes, the slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) can be used to write the equation of a perpendicular line. Remember to take the negative reciprocal of the original slope to find the slope of the perpendicular line.