How to Calculate Absolute Gamma Probability from Relative Intensities?

In summary, In order to calculate the absolute gamma probability from relative intensities, one must first calculate the relative intensities of all the gammas from one isotope, and then add all the relative probabilities of all the possible gammas listed. If the total probability is greater than 1, then there may be error in adding all the possible probabilities.
HaniNaber
Hi All,

I want to ask how to calculate the absolute gamma probability from relative intensities ( found on the tables of nucliedes) following alpha or beta decay.

I mean the probabilities that all add to 1.

Many thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
HaniNaber said:
the absolute gamma probability from relative intensities
I'm not sure what one means by "the absolute gamma probability". To what 'probability' is one referring. After alpha or beta decay, a nucleus of a radionuclide can be left in an excited state, and the only way to become more stable is to emit a gamma ray. A given gamma energy has a probability of occurring when compared to all the other possible decays, and some of more likely to happen, or more probable, depending on precursor decay.

To what 'chart of the nuclides' is one referring?

I mean in the table of nuclides for example the IAEA table , they would list the relative intensities of all the gammas from one isotope for example one gamma from the 4th energy level to the 2nd and one from the 2nd to ground state, after adding all the relative probabilities of all the possible gammas listed they don't add to one (after adding all of them the total is 1.4 for Ac228), I'm looking to convert these relative intensities to probabilities that add to 1.

Thank You.

HaniNaber said:
I mean in the table of nuclides for example the IAEA table , they would list the relative intensities of all the gammas from one isotope for example one gamma from the 4th energy level to the 2nd and one from the 2nd to ground state, after adding all the relative probabilities of all the possible gammas listed they don't add to one (after adding all of them the total is 1.4 for Ac228), I'm looking to convert these relative intensities to probabilities that add to 1.

Thank You.
Well, the reason that probabilities for all gamma ray energies can add up to >1 is that in some decays two gamma rays are produced successively, i.e., they both happen successively from the same decay. One sees this in radiative capture of neutrons as well, where the excited nucleus emits 1 or 2 gammas in response to absorption of a neutron. The energy of the two gammas is often nearly equal to the single gamma energy.

https://www.nndc.bnl.gov/nudat2/getdecayscheme.jsp?nucleus=228TH&dsid=228ac bM decay&unc=nds

Last edited:
Likes Vanadium 50
Thank you, it makes sense.

I am trying to do some calculations related to activity and mass based of the total probability of all the gammas, and for this calculation to be done, the total probability should be less than 1, otherwise I would get negative masses.

I think that accumulation of error in adding all the possible probabilities ( some might have never been observed) is the reason for greater than 1 total probability. It might just be impractical to do so.

Thanks again for your help.

1. What is absolute gamma probability?

Absolute gamma probability refers to the probability of a specific gamma ray being emitted from a radioactive source. It is a measure of the likelihood of a particular gamma ray being detected by a detector.

2. How is absolute gamma probability calculated?

Absolute gamma probability is calculated by multiplying the relative intensity of the gamma ray by the total number of gamma rays emitted from the source. This gives the number of gamma rays of that specific energy that are expected to be detected.

3. What is the difference between absolute and relative gamma probability?

Relative gamma probability is the ratio of the intensity of a specific gamma ray to the total intensity of all gamma rays emitted from the source. Absolute gamma probability takes into account both the relative intensity and the total number of gamma rays emitted.

4. Can absolute gamma probability be greater than 1?

Yes, absolute gamma probability can be greater than 1. This can occur if the relative intensity of a specific gamma ray is very high and the total number of gamma rays emitted is also high.

5. How is absolute gamma probability used in scientific research?

Absolute gamma probability is used in various fields of scientific research, such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and environmental science. It is a crucial parameter in the analysis of gamma ray spectra and can provide valuable information about the properties of radioactive materials and their environments.