How to calculate acceleration of blobs in any degree pendulum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a method to calculate the acceleration of blobs in a pendulum with multiple degrees, specifically a 2D n-fold pendulum. The equation for the Lagrangean of the system is provided and is used to derive the equation of motion or Lagrangean equation. The resulting equation is then simplified and checked for n=1 and n=2, with the expected results obtained.
Rafums
I want to create a method to calculate acceleration of blobs in any degree pendulum (double, triple and more). I have this equation but I am not sure if it is correct, or how to extract acceleration from it.

unknown.png

[Mentor Note -- this is a new thread start to correct errors in the previous 2 thread starts]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the configuration as attached sketch for 2D n-fold pendulum shows
[tex](x_0,y_0)=(0,0)[/tex]
[tex](x_i,y_i)=(x_{i-1},y_{1-1})+(l_i \cos\theta_i, l_i \sin\theta_i)=(\sum_{j=1}^i l_j\cos\theta_j, \sum_{j=1}^i l_j\sin\theta_j)[/tex]
[tex](\dot{x_i},\dot{y_i})=(\sum_{j=1}^i l_j (-\sin\theta_j) \dot{\theta_j}, \sum_{j=1}^i l_j\cos\theta_j \dot{\theta_j})[/tex]

Lagrangean of the system is
[tex]L=\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{m_i}{2}(\dot{x_i}^2+\dot{y_i}^2)+g\sum_{i=1}^n m_i x_i[/tex]
with gravity force applying to x positive direction. Express L as ##L(\theta_1, \theta_2,...,\theta_n, \dot{\theta_1}, \dot{\theta_2}, ... , \dot{\theta_n})##

[tex]L=\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{m_i}{2}[\{\sum_{j=1}^i l_j (-\sin\theta_j) \dot{\theta_j}\}^2+\{\sum_{j=1}^i l_j \cos\theta_j\ \dot{\theta_j}\}^2]+g\sum_{i=1}^n m_i \sum_{j=1}^i l_j\cos\theta_j[/tex]

We get equation of motion or Lagrangean equation from this Lagrangean, e.g.

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta_k}}=\frac{d}{dt}\sum_{i=k}^n m_i[\{\sum_{j=k}^i l_j (-\sin\theta_j) \dot{\theta_j}\}l_k (-\sin\theta_k)+\{\sum_{j=k}^i l_j \cos\theta_j\ \dot{\theta_j}\}l_k \cos\theta_k][/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{i=k}^n m_i[\{\sum_{j=k}^i l_j (-\cos\theta_j) \dot{\theta_j}^2\}l_k (-\sin\theta_k)+\{\sum_{j=k}^i l_j (-\sin\theta_j\ \dot{\theta_j}^2\}l_k \cos\theta_k][/tex]
[tex]+\sum_{i=k}^n m_i[\{\sum_{j=k}^i l_j (-\sin\theta_j) \ddot{\theta_j}\}l_k (-\sin\theta_k)+\{\sum_{j=k}^i l_j \cos\theta_j\ \ddot{\theta_j}\}l_k \cos\theta_k][/tex]
[tex]+\sum_{i=k}^n m_i[\{\sum_{j=k}^i l_j (-\sin\theta_j) \dot{\theta_j}\}l_k (-\cos\theta_k)\dot{\theta_k}+\{\sum_{j=k}^i l_j \cos\theta_j\ \dot{\theta_j}\}l_k(- \sin\theta_k) \dot{\theta_k}][/tex]
equals to
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta_k}=\sum_{i=k}^n m_i[\{\sum_{j=k}^i l_j (-\sin\theta_j) \dot{\theta_j}\}l_k (-\cos\theta_k)\dot{\theta_k}+\{\sum_{j=k}^i l_j \cos\theta_j\ \dot{\theta_j}\}l_k (-\sin\theta_k)\dot{\theta_k}]+g\sum_{i=k}^n m_i \ l_k(-\sin\theta_k)[/tex]

So the resulted equation is
[tex]\sum_{i=k}^n m_i[\{\sum_{j=k}^i l_j (-\cos\theta_j) \dot{\theta_j}^2\} (-\sin\theta_k)+\{\sum_{j=k}^i l_j (-\sin\theta_j)\ \dot{\theta_j}^2\} \cos\theta_k
+\{\sum_{j=k}^i l_j (-\sin\theta_j) \ddot{\theta_j}\} (-\sin\theta_k)+\{\sum_{j=k}^i l_j \cos\theta_j\ \ddot{\theta_j}\}\cos\theta_k
-g (-\sin\theta_k) ]=0[/tex]
or
[tex]\sum_{i=k}^n m_i[\ \sum_{j=k}^i l_j \sin(\theta_k-\theta_j) \dot{\theta_j}^2
+\sum_{j=k}^i l_j \cos(\theta_k-\theta_j )\ddot{\theta_j} +g \sin\theta_k\ \ ]=0[/tex]

where k=1,2,...,n. Coefficients of g have trigonometric function though formula OP does not have it.  

These n equations give you formula of ##\ddot{\theta_k}## as functions of ##\theta_i##s and ##\dot{\theta_i}##s, which you are looking for.

Attachments

• img20201225_19091988.jpg
    img20201225_19091988.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I found this equation:
Równania _wahadła2 (2).png

It comes from this page: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/336868500_Equations_of_Motion_Formulation_of_a_Pendulum_Containing_N-point_Masses and I transformed them like this:

Równanie _wahadła1.png

Did I do it right?

How about checking it for n=1, a simple pendulum.
You should get
[tex]l_1 \ddot{\theta_1}+g \sin\theta_1=0[/tex].

If it's OK proceed to check it for n=2. You should get ##\ddot{\theta_1},\ddot{\theta_2}## as function of ##\theta_1,\theta_2,\dot{\theta_1},\dot{\theta_2}## which is calculated from (19) and (20) of the paper you quote.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. How do you define acceleration in a pendulum?

Acceleration in a pendulum is the rate of change of velocity, or the change in velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in a pendulum?

The formula for acceleration in a pendulum is a = -g * sin(θ), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the pendulum from its equilibrium position.

3. How do you determine the angle of a pendulum?

The angle of a pendulum can be measured using a protractor or by using trigonometric functions to calculate it based on the length of the pendulum and the displacement from its equilibrium position.

4. Can you calculate acceleration in any degree pendulum?

Yes, the formula for acceleration in a pendulum can be applied to any degree pendulum, as long as the angle is measured in radians.

5. How does the mass of the pendulum affect its acceleration?

The mass of the pendulum does not affect its acceleration. The formula for acceleration in a pendulum only takes into account the length and angle of the pendulum, not its mass.