How to calculate gyroscopic inertia this setup?

In summary, the wheel in the photo can rotate vertically and horizontally without friction. When calculating its kinetic energy, the formula must be modified to include the speed of the wheel in order to account for the slowing down caused by the gyroscope. The modified equation is E rotation = 0.5 x I x (W + ω)^2, where I is the moment of inertia for a short rod, W is the angular velocity of the wheel, and ω is the angular velocity of the mass.
SpaceThoughts
This text refers to the photo below.

The wheel in the middle can rotate vertically without friction. The construction around it can rotate the wheel horizontally as well, also without friction.

When the blue weight is falling while the wheel is not rotating, I can calculate the kinetic energi for the wheel using the formula for rotating kinetic energy (E rotation = 0,5 x I x W^2.) inserting the moment of inertia for a short rod, rather than a cylinder (1/12 x m x L^2)

However, when the wheel is rotating, the blue weight is falling slower because the gyroscope slows down the process. So this formula has to be modified to include the speed of the wheel in order to be able to calculate the actual kinetic energy of the mass rotating horizontally. What does this modified formula look like?

I am not a professor in physics, and would appreciate a simple answer, if possible;-)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Gyroscope.png
    Gyroscope.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 72
Physics news on Phys.org
The modified equation for calculating the kinetic energy of the mass rotating horizontally is: E rotation = 0.5 x I x (W + ω)^2, where I is the moment of inertia for a short rod (1/12 x m x L^2), W is the angular velocity of the wheel in radians per second, and ω is the angular velocity of the mass in radians per second.

1. What is gyroscopic inertia?

Gyroscopic inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object.

2. How do I calculate gyroscopic inertia?

The formula for calculating gyroscopic inertia is I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass. This formula can be used for simple shapes such as spheres, cylinders, and cubes. For more complex shapes, the moment of inertia can be calculated using integration.

3. What units are used to measure gyroscopic inertia?

Gyroscopic inertia is typically measured in units of kilogram meters squared (kg·m^2). However, other units such as gram centimeters squared (g·cm^2) or pound feet squared (lb·ft^2) may also be used.

4. How does the setup of an object affect its gyroscopic inertia?

The setup of an object, including its shape and distribution of mass, can greatly affect its gyroscopic inertia. Objects with more mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with the same mass but a smaller distribution of mass.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating gyroscopic inertia?

Calculating gyroscopic inertia is important in many fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. It is used in the design of vehicles, such as airplanes and cars, to ensure stability and control during motion. In sports, understanding gyroscopic inertia is crucial for athletes to perform complex movements, such as in gymnastics or figure skating.