How to calculate heat dispersion through a solid copper rod?

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a fanless computer case and the need for a suitable heat-sink material. The person has a solid copper rod and has calculated various properties, but is looking for a way to predict the temperature change along the rod without conducting experiments. The ultimate goal is to determine if the copper rod can disperse enough heat from the device's CPU. If not, other materials such as aluminum or heat pipes may be considered.
Jim Smith
I'm trying to build a fanless computer case for a small electronic device. I'm trying to figure out what type of heat-sink material I should use. I have a solid copper rod about 3cm in length with a radius of .05cm.

I've determined and calculated the density, specific heat, thermal conductivity, thermal diffusivity, initial temperature at one end of the rod, and total power output (20 watts). Aside from me performing some experiment and measuring the temperature at various points through out the solid rod, is there a way I can initially calculate the temperature change at certain points from the information I have?

In the end, I want to be able to see if the heat from the initial point of contact will move/disperse up the solid rod to the other end fast enough and what's its temperature if/when it reaches that point. This is just a solid copper cylindrical rod with no fins or cuts. It's just a block of copper that's being used as a heat-sink between my devices cpu and outside case.

If the copper rod can't move the heat fast enough or at all, I want to be able to try other materials such as aluminum.

Science news on Phys.org
I'll consider it when these solid rods prove insufficient.

1. How do I calculate the heat dispersion through a solid copper rod?

The heat dispersion through a solid copper rod can be calculated using the formula Q = kA(T2-T1)/L, where Q is the heat flow, k is the thermal conductivity of copper, A is the cross-sectional area of the rod, T1 is the initial temperature, T2 is the final temperature, and L is the length of the rod.

2. What is the thermal conductivity of copper?

The thermal conductivity of copper is approximately 401 W/mK at room temperature. However, this value can vary depending on factors such as temperature, impurities, and alloy composition.

3. How does the cross-sectional area of the rod affect heat dispersion?

The cross-sectional area of the rod directly affects the amount of heat that can be dispersed. A larger cross-sectional area allows for more heat to be transferred through the rod, while a smaller area results in less heat dispersion.

4. Can heat dispersion through a copper rod be affected by its length?

Yes, the length of the copper rod also plays a role in heat dispersion. A longer rod will have a higher thermal resistance and therefore, less heat will be able to flow through it compared to a shorter rod.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect heat dispersion through a solid copper rod?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect heat dispersion through a solid copper rod, such as the initial and final temperatures of the rod, the surrounding environment, and any insulation or coating on the rod. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating heat dispersion through a copper rod.