How to calculate motor force from power?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between motor power, work, force, and mass in a car. The formula A = P * Δt is used to calculate motor work per time, and attempts to solve for force F are made using different energy equations. The conversation also explores the impact of mass on acceleration and the relationship between power, torque, and angular velocity in a motor. Ultimately, data on the motor, wheels, and gearbox are needed to fully resolve the question.
Ockonal
There is car, that has motor with power P. From power I can calculate motor work per time:
[itex]A = P*\Delta t[/itex]

P - power, A-work, [itex]\Delta t[/itex] - time interval.

[itex]\Delta t[/itex] and P are known (calculations are performing by discrete time steps).

Now, I want to calculate force F, that will produce car's moving. I.e. I need some function [itex]F=tadam(A)[/itex].

My attempts to solve

If motor will change only kinetic energy [itex]E_k[/itex], calculations can be like this (assuming, that body not moving yet, i.e. [itex]v_1 = 0[/itex]):

[itex]A = \Delta E_k = m*v_2^2/2 - m*v_1^2/2 = m*v_2^2/2[/itex]

[itex]v_2 = \sqrt{2*A/m}[/itex]

[itex]a = \frac{v_2-v_1}{\Delta t} = \frac{v2}{\Delta t} = \frac{\sqrt{2*A/m}}{\Delta t}[/itex]

[itex]F = m*a = \frac{m*\sqrt{2*A/m}}{\Delta t} = \frac{\sqrt{2*A*m}}{\Delta t}[/itex]

If motor will change only potential energy [itex]E_p[/itex], calculation can be like this:

[itex]A = \Delta E_p = m*g*\Delta h[/itex]

[itex]A = F*\Delta h[/itex]

[itex]F = m*g[/itex]

But, these calculations are not that I need, because I feel, that F should not depend on mass. What difference for motor, which mass has the car? I think, that force should be equal in any case. Is my feeling wrong? Why?

Context: I am developing a game, using physics engine Box2D. There I know motor power, and need force, that I will apply to the car body, by call
Code:
car->applyForce(force)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ockonal said:
What difference for motor, which mass has the car?

Put a 1 litre engine in a Mini and it will accelerate to 100km/hr fairly quickly.
Put the same 1 litre engine engine in a Kenworth truck and it will hardly move.
The mass has a huge effect on acceleration.

Power = force x velocity
This gives you the relationship for a car moving at steady velocity.

Hello all, I am another author of the question.

DesmondD said:
Put a 1 litre engine in a Mini and it will accelerate to 100km/hr fairly quickly.
Put the same 1 litre engine engine in a Kenworth truck and it will hardly move.
The mass has a huge effect on acceleration.

DesmondD, yes, mass has a huge effect on acceleration, but what effect it has on motor force? If I put force 10H to body with mass = 1, it will has acceleration [itex]10m/s^2[/itex] and if I put same force 10H to body with mass = 100, it will has acceleration [itex]0.1m/s^2[/itex]. I think, that motor *force* should not depend on mass. Am I wrong?

technician said:
Power = force x velocity
This gives you the relationship for a car moving at steady velocity.

technician, I believe that this formula is right, when motor changing only potential energy.

[itex]P = A/t = F*\Delta l / t = F * v[/itex]

This formula based on fact, that work is [itex]F * \Delta l[/itex]. But if body moving without resistance and without impact of another forces, motor will change velocity, i.e. kinetic energy. After that, body can pass billions of kilometers by inertia, and no work will be done at all. So, in this case [itex]F*v[/itex] is meaningless.

p.s. In my case motor can change both, potential (moving car up) and kinetic (moving car forward) energies.

So far you have calculated the power and force required to accelerate the car or go up hills.

For a motor

Power = Torque x angular velocity.

You can choose:

Large torque & small angular velocity
or
Small torque & large angular velocity.

To resolve you need data on the motor, wheels gearbox etc.

CWatters said:
So far you have calculated the power and force required to accelerate the car or go up hills.

For a motor

Power = Torque x angular velocity.

You can choose:

Large torque & small angular velocity
or
Small torque & large angular velocity.

To resolve you need data on the motor, wheels gearbox etc.

Thanks, CWatters, that's the answer. Question is closed.

Related to How to calculate motor force from power?

1. How do you calculate motor force from power?

The formula for calculating motor force from power is force = power / velocity. This formula can be applied to any type of motor, whether it is electric, hydraulic, or pneumatic.

2. What units should be used for power and velocity in the formula?

The units for power should be in watts (W) or horsepower (hp), while the units for velocity should be in meters per second (m/s) or feet per minute (ft/min). It is important to use consistent units in order to get an accurate result.

3. Can motor force be calculated if torque is given instead of power?

Yes, motor force can also be calculated from torque using the formula force = torque / radius. Torque is a measure of the twisting force of a motor, while radius represents the distance from the center of the motor to the point where the force is applied.

4. Are there any other factors that should be considered when calculating motor force?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect motor force, such as the efficiency of the motor, the weight of the load being moved, and the friction between moving parts. These factors should be taken into account in order to get a more accurate calculation of motor force.

5. Is there a difference in calculating motor force for different types of motors?

Yes, the formula for calculating motor force may vary slightly depending on the type of motor being used. For example, for electric motors, the formula may include the number of poles and the frequency of the AC power supply. It is important to use the correct formula for the specific type of motor being used.