How to calculate number of moles of H2O2 oxidized

In summary, the equation for the oxidation of hydrogen peroxide by potassium permanganate in acidic solution is 2MnO4- + 6H+ + 5H2O2 -> 2Mn2+ + 5O2 + 8H2O. The number of moles of hydrogen peroxide oxidized can be calculated by multiplying the number of moles of potassium permanganate by 5/4000. The answer is approximately 0.01125 moles.
Blobikins

Homework Statement

How many moles of hydrogen peroxide will be oxidized by 0.0045 moles of potassium permanganate in acidic solution?

I am unable to think of how you get started?

Homework Equations

[/B]
n - m/mm

The Attempt at a Solution

I've balanced the equation for an acidic solution: 2MnO4- + 6H+ + 5H2O2 -> 2Mn2+ + 5O2 + 8H2O

I know, since it's balanced, the H202 has 5 moles per the 2 for MnO4-.

I can't think of how to even get this started.

Physics news on Phys.org
How many moles of MnO4- do you have?

If 5 moles of H2O2 are oxidized per 2 moles of MnO4- (I have NOT checked your arithmetic) then how many moles of H2O2 are oxidized by that many moles of MnO4-?

So, I don't know if this is right, but .0045 is 9/4000th of 2, so then 9/4000*5 is the number of moles of H2O2 oxidized by .0045 moles of 2MnO4-.

So, the answer should be .01125 moles?

I don't know if that's right.

Looks OK.

1. How do you calculate the number of moles of H2O2 oxidized?

The number of moles of H2O2 oxidized can be calculated by dividing the mass of H2O2 oxidized by its molar mass. This can be represented by the formula: moles = mass (g) / molar mass (g/mol).

2. What is the molar mass of H2O2?

The molar mass of H2O2 is 34.0147 g/mol. This can be calculated by adding the atomic masses of each element in the molecule, which are 2(1.008) for hydrogen and 2(16.00) for oxygen.

3. How do you convert from grams to moles?

To convert from grams to moles, you need to first find the molar mass of the substance. Then, divide the given mass by the molar mass to get the number of moles. This can be represented by the formula: moles = mass (g) / molar mass (g/mol).

4. Can you calculate the number of moles of H2O2 oxidized without knowing the mass?

No, in order to calculate the number of moles of H2O2 oxidized, you need to know the mass of H2O2 that was oxidized. If the mass is not given, it cannot be calculated.

5. Is the number of moles of H2O2 oxidized the same as the number of moles of oxygen produced?

No, the number of moles of H2O2 oxidized and the number of moles of oxygen produced are not necessarily the same. This is because H2O2 can also decompose into water and oxygen, so not all of the H2O2 molecules may be oxidized. It is important to specify whether the reaction is complete or not when calculating the number of moles of H2O2 oxidized.