How to Calculate PH and POH when Adding Solid KOH to HCL Solution?

• Thread starter vileofmsz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the solution obtained by adding .2g of Solid KOH to 1.5 liters of .002M HCL has a PH of -log[Concentration] and a POH of 5.86.
vileofmsz
1. Calculate the PH and the POH of the solution obtained by adding .2g of Solid KOH to 1.5 liters of .002M HCL

Homework Equations

3.I understand this is a mol/ liter question. but I just don't understand how to transfer .2g of koh to ml and to find the concentration. I know PH= - log [Concentration Someone please help

I got KOH= 56.1g/mol. so one gram of KOH must = to 56.1 moles. If i multiply by .2 I get that .2g of KOH =11.22g

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your mass to moles for KOH is correct. Next, find the excess number of moles of either KOH or HCl, and this will tell you if the solution is acidic (for which you find pH), or alkaline (for which you find pOH). To find the corresponding other pX value, you use pH+pOH=14

vileofmsz said:
I got KOH= 56.1g/mol. so one gram of KOH must = to 56.1 moles. If i multiply by .2 I get that .2g of KOH =11.22g

No, that's not OK. Why do you multiply mass of the KOH by the molar mass of the KOH? 11.22 is not number of moles, besides, it is not in g - it is in g2mol-1.

Check this calculation of pH of mixture example.

My mistake is the first sentence:
symbolipoint said:
Your mass to moles for KOH is correct. Next, find the excess number of moles of either KOH or HCl, and this will tell you if the solution is acidic (for which you find pH), or alkaline (for which you find pOH). To find the corresponding other pX value, you use pH+pOH=14

Correct would be (0.2 grams KOH)/(56.1 grams KOH / mole KOH)= theMolesOf KOH.
Read that text carefully; that is supposed to be a division of 0.2 by 56.1
Note the slash mark (actually two of them. The first is for the numbers, the second is for a ratio)

So 0.2g KOH/56.1g/mol KOH = .003 mol and 0.002M HCL * 1.5L HCL = 0.003 mol.

So 0.003 mol KOH - 0.003 mol HCl =0, so the pH has to be 7, right?

But what if there was still some of a reagent left? Then you would need to calculate the volume of KOH, correct? And how would you do that when you don't have the density (D=mV)?

webz said:
So 0.2g KOH/56.1g/mol KOH = .003 mol

Don't round down intermediate results.

But what if there was still some of a reagent left? Then you would need to calculate the volume of KOH, correct? And how would you do that when you don't have the density (D=mV)?

You don't need density here - you know there is 1.5L of solution. Volume almost doesn't change when adding so small amount of solid reactant.

Related to How to Calculate PH and POH when Adding Solid KOH to HCL Solution?

1. What is the difference between pH and pOH?

The pH scale measures the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution, while the pOH scale measures the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH-) in a solution. pH is used to indicate acidity, with a lower pH indicating a higher concentration of hydrogen ions, while pOH is used to indicate basicity, with a lower pOH indicating a higher concentration of hydroxide ions.

2. How is pH calculated?

pH is calculated using the formula: pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter (M). This means that the pH scale is logarithmic, with each pH unit representing a 10-fold difference in hydrogen ion concentration.

3. What is the relationship between pH and pOH?

The sum of pH and pOH is always equal to 14. This is because in a neutral solution, the concentration of hydrogen ions is equal to the concentration of hydroxide ions, resulting in a pH of 7 and a pOH of 7. Any increase in pH will result in a decrease in pOH and vice versa.

4. How does temperature affect pH and pOH?

The pH and pOH of a solution can be affected by changes in temperature. Generally, an increase in temperature will result in a decrease in pH and an increase in pOH, while a decrease in temperature will have the opposite effect. This is because temperature can affect the dissociation of water molecules, which impacts the concentration of hydrogen and hydroxide ions in a solution.

5. What is a neutral pH?

A neutral pH is 7, which indicates a balanced concentration of hydrogen and hydroxide ions in a solution. This means that the solution is neither acidic nor basic, and can be found in substances such as pure water. A pH below 7 is considered acidic, while a pH above 7 is considered basic.