How to calculate pulse energy?

In summary, the pulse laser is converted by a photo detector into an electrical current, with the output voltage of the photo detector visible through an oscilloscope. To calculate the energy of the pulse, a formula can be used assuming the output voltage is proportional to optical power. A reference can also be obtained using light from a known source, by studying the units of illumination. The energy of the pulse can be determined by multiplying its power by time.
Jiho
The pulse laser is converted by photo detector(PD) into electrical current. And we can see output voltage of photo detector by using oscilloscope.

Now we get voltage function detected by PD. Now I need to calculate energy of pulse. But I don't know how I do it.. Is there any formula I can use??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jiho said:
The pulse laser is converted
I should hope not :rolleyes: !
You want to know an expression for the conversion of some voltage resulting from a laser pulse that hits a photodiode. So you need to calibrate your setup. Not so easy. You don't happen to have a power meter, I suppose ? So what do you know of your photodiode ?

Jiho said:
The pulse laser is converted by photo detector(PD) into electrical current. And we can see output voltage of photo detector by using oscilloscope.

Now we get voltage function detected by PD. Now I need to calculate energy of pulse. But I don't know how I do it.. Is there any formula I can use??
I think the simple assumption is that the output voltage of the diode is proportional to optical power. Maybe you could then obtain a reference by using the light from a known source - not a standard candle (!) but maybe a known lamp. You would need to study the units of illumination to do this. Remember the laser has a parallel beam so it does not fall with distance (until many km).
The energy contained in the pulse will be its power x time.

1. How do I calculate pulse energy using the formula?

The formula for calculating pulse energy is: E = (1/2) x C x V2, where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts.

2. What is the unit of measurement for pulse energy?

Pulse energy is typically measured in joules (J), which is the standard unit of energy in the International System of Units (SI).

3. Can I use a different unit of measurement for pulse energy?

Yes, you can use other units of measurement such as electron volts (eV) or ergs (erg), but you will need to convert them to joules using the appropriate conversion factors.

4. How does pulse duration affect pulse energy?

Pulse duration, or the length of time that the pulse lasts, does not directly affect pulse energy. However, a longer pulse duration may result in a higher total energy output if the pulse is repeated multiple times.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the calculation of pulse energy?

Yes, other factors such as the efficiency of the pulse generation system, losses due to heat or resistance, and external factors like temperature and humidity can affect the accuracy of pulse energy calculations.