How to calculate the area under a curve

In summary, the conversation discussed a question about calculating the area of a loop in an equation x^3+y^3-3axy=0, specifically when a=1. The conversation also mentioned creating a function and using definite integration to find the area, as well as the Folium of Descartes and its area.
JG FRANKO
I was doing some integral exercises for getting area under the function. I was doing only more simple stuff, like functions that don't go over the same "x area" multiple times, like a quadratic function. My question is how to calculate area of a loop in an equation x^3+y^3-3axy=0 if let's say a is 1.

Thank you for your answers in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
If I create a function out of this equation, I get
gif&s=37.gif

Would the answer be correct, if I would use a definite integral to integrate this function to get the area of the loop?
gif&s=40.gif

Likes Nucleus _Basalis
JG FRANKO said:
If I create a function out of this equation, I get
View attachment 207587
Would the answer be correct, if I would use a definite integral to integrate this function to get the area of the loop?
View attachment 207588

The function you have will certainly won't give you the answer if you integrate it alone. You need a function for top part of the loop and one for the bottom part of the loop. On the top part the function is increasing and decreasing on the bottom part.

Likes Nucleus _Basalis

What is the area under a curve?

The area under a curve is the total area enclosed by a curve and the x-axis on a graph. It represents the total value of the data plotted on the graph.

Why is calculating the area under a curve important?

Calculating the area under a curve is important because it allows us to understand the overall trend and pattern of the data. It also helps us make predictions and draw conclusions about the data.

What is the formula for calculating the area under a curve?

The formula for calculating the area under a curve is the integral of the function that represents the curve. In other words, it is the sum of all the infinitely many rectangles that fit under the curve, with the width of each rectangle approaching zero.

Can the area under a curve be negative?

Yes, the area under a curve can be negative if the curve dips below the x-axis. This means that the data has a net negative value. However, when calculating the area, we take the absolute value to ensure that the result is always positive.

How can I calculate the area under a curve without using integration?

If integration is not possible, the area under a curve can be approximated using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods divide the area into smaller trapezoids or parabolas and sum up their areas to approximate the total area under the curve.