How to calculate the lower and upper riemann sum

In summary, FallArk found that the lower Riemann sum of f\left(x\right)={x}^{3}, x\in[0,1] is given by:L(f,{P}_{n}) = \frac{1}{{n}^{4}} \sum_{i=1}^{n}{m}_{i}{\delta}_{{x}_{i}} = \frac{1}{{n}^{4}} \sum_{i=1}^{n}{(\frac{i-1}{n})}^{3}\cdot\frac{1}{n} = \frac{1}{{n
FallArk
I ran into some issues when trying to calculate the lower Riemann sum of \(\displaystyle f\left(x\right)={x}^{3}\), \(\displaystyle x\in[0,1]\)
I am asked to use the standard partition \(\displaystyle {P}_{n}\) of \(\displaystyle [0,1]\) with n equal subintervals and evaluate \(\displaystyle L(f,{P}_{n})\) and \(\displaystyle U(f,{P}_{n})\)
What I did:
\(\displaystyle L(f,{P}_{n}) = \sum_{i=1}^{n}{m}_{i}{\delta}_{{x}_{i}} = \sum_{i=1}^{n}{(\frac{i-1}{n})}^{3}\cdot\frac{1}{n} = \frac{1}{{n}^{4}} \sum_{i=1}^{n} {(i-1)}^{3} = \frac{1}{{n}^{4}} \sum_{i=1}^{n}({i}^{3}-3{i}^{2}+3i-1) = \frac{1}{{n}^{4}}[\sum_{i=1}^{n}{i}^{3} - 3\sum_{i=1}^{n}{i}^{2} + 3\sum_{i=1}^{n}i - \sum_{i=1}^{n}i]\)
Then I know that the sum of \(\displaystyle {n}^{3}\) is \(\displaystyle \frac{{n}^{2}{(n+1)}^{2}}{4}\), sum of \(\displaystyle {n}^{2}\) is \(\displaystyle \frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}\), sums of \(\displaystyle n\) and \(\displaystyle 1\) are just \(\displaystyle \frac{n(n+1)}{2}\) and \(\displaystyle n\)
But I'm not so sure if my anwsers are correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
FallArk said:
I ran into some issues when trying to calculate the lower Riemann sum of \(\displaystyle f\left(x\right)={x}^{3}\), \(\displaystyle x\in[0,1]\)
I am asked to use the standard partition \(\displaystyle {P}_{n}\) of \(\displaystyle [0,1]\) with n equal subintervals and evaluate \(\displaystyle L(f,{P}_{n})\) and \(\displaystyle U(f,{P}_{n})\)
What I did:
\(\displaystyle L(f,{P}_{n}) = \sum_{i=1}^{n}{m}_{i}{\delta}_{{x}_{i}} = \sum_{i=1}^{n}{(\frac{i-1}{n})}^{3}\cdot\frac{1}{n} = \frac{1}{{n}^{4}} \sum_{i=1}^{n} {(i-1)}^{3} = \frac{1}{{n}^{4}} \sum_{i=1}^{n}({i}^{3}-3{i}^{2}+3i-1) = \frac{1}{{n}^{4}}[\sum_{i=1}^{n}{i}^{3} - 3\sum_{i=1}^{n}{i}^{2} + 3\sum_{i=1}^{n}i - \sum_{i=1}^{n}i]\)
Then I know that the sum of \(\displaystyle {n}^{3}\) is \(\displaystyle \frac{{n}^{2}{(n+1)}^{2}}{4}\), sum of \(\displaystyle {n}^{2}\) is \(\displaystyle \frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}\), sums of \(\displaystyle n\) and \(\displaystyle 1\) are just \(\displaystyle \frac{n(n+1)}{2}\) and \(\displaystyle n\)
But I'm not so sure if my anwsers are correct.

Hey FallArk,

Note that we can simplify it a bit - and use the formula you provided:
$$L(f,{P}_{n}) = \frac{1}{{n}^{4}} \sum_{i=1}^{n} {(i-1)}^{3}
= \frac{1}{{n}^{4}} \sum_{j=0}^{n-1} {j}^{3}
= \frac{1}{{n}^{4}} \cdot \frac{{(n-1)}^{2}{n}^{2}}{4}
\to\frac 14
$$
Since
$$\int_0^1 x^3\,dx = \frac 14 x^4 \Big|_0^1 = \frac 14$$
I think we are good. (Smile)

I like Serena said:
Hey FallArk,

Note that we can simplify it a bit - and use the formula you provided:
$$L(f,{P}_{n}) = \frac{1}{{n}^{4}} \sum_{i=1}^{n} {(i-1)}^{3}
= \frac{1}{{n}^{4}} \sum_{j=0}^{n-1} {j}^{3}
= \frac{1}{{n}^{4}} \cdot \frac{{(n-1)}^{2}{n}^{2}}{4}
\to\frac 14
$$
Since
$$\int_0^1 x^3\,dx = \frac 14 x^4 \Big|_0^1 = \frac 14$$
I think we are good. (Smile)

Ooooo, that is clever! and just so happen that \(\displaystyle U(f,{P}_{n})\) is almost the same since \(\displaystyle {M}_{i}\) is \(\displaystyle \frac{i}{n}\)! which further proves that this function is integrable

1. What is the purpose of calculating the lower and upper Riemann sum?

The lower and upper Riemann sum is a method used to approximate the area under a curve on a graph. It is often used in calculus and other mathematical applications to estimate the value of an integral.

2. How do you calculate the lower and upper Riemann sum?

The lower and upper Riemann sum can be calculated by dividing the area under the curve into smaller rectangles and adding up the areas of these rectangles. The lower Riemann sum is calculated by using the height of the lower edge of each rectangle, while the upper Riemann sum uses the height of the upper edge.

3. What is the difference between the lower and upper Riemann sum?

The main difference between the lower and upper Riemann sum lies in the height of each rectangle used in the calculation. The lower Riemann sum uses the height of the lower edge of the rectangle, while the upper Riemann sum uses the height of the upper edge. This can result in different approximations of the area under the curve.

4. When is it appropriate to use the lower and upper Riemann sum?

The lower and upper Riemann sum is commonly used when the function being integrated is not continuous or when the exact value of the integral is difficult to determine. It is also useful when a more accurate estimation of the area under the curve is needed compared to other methods.

5. Can the lower and upper Riemann sum be used for any type of curve?

Yes, the lower and upper Riemann sum can be used for any type of curve, as long as it can be divided into smaller rectangles. However, the accuracy of the approximation may vary depending on the shape of the curve and the number of rectangles used in the calculation.