How to Calculate the Percent Weight of Components in a Gas Mixture?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter archaic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, this system of equations has two linear equations that can be solved for % weight by using the average molar mass of the two substances. The percent weight of the mixture will be the sum of the weights of the individual molecules divided by the total mass of the mixture.
archaic
Homework Statement
A mixture of ##\mathrm{NO_{2(g)}}## and ##\mathrm{N_2O_{4(g)}}## at ##63\,\mathrm{C^°}## and ##750\,\mathrm{mmHg}## pressure has a density of ##1.98\,\mathrm{g/L}##. What is the weight% of ##\mathrm{NO_2}## in the mixture?
Relevant Equations
##d=\frac{MP}{RT}##
The total molar mass is ##M=\frac{dRT}{P}=\frac{1.98*0.08206*(63+273.15)}{750/760}=55.3454786\,g/mol##.
We have ##M=aM_1+bM_2## where ##M_1## and ##M_2## are the molar masses of ##\mathrm{NO_2}## and ##\mathrm{N_2O_4}## respectively.
If I consider ##n## moles, I'd have ##m=nM=naM_1+nbM_2=m_1+m_2## and so the weight percentage would be ##\frac{m_1}{m}*100\%=\frac{aM_1}{aM_1+bM_2}*100\%##, but how can I find ##a## and ##b##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would assuming you have an (arbitrary) volume V of mixture help?

Borek said:
Would assuming you have an (arbitrary) volume V of mixture help?
The I'd have ##1.98V\,g## of matter but I don't see how that can help.

If M = aM1 + bM2, what is a+b? (Remember molar mass is an intensive property.)

mjc123 said:
If M = aM1 + bM2, what is a+b? (Remember molar mass is an intensive property.)
Unfortunately I couldn't solve this on my own. ##a## would be ##n_1/(n_1+n_2)## and ##b=1-a##.
I am comforting myself by saying that I didn't know about the average molar mass formula and then didn't put much thought in seeing that ##\frac{aM_1}{aM_1+(1-a)M_2}=\frac{n_1M_1}{n_1M_1+n_2M_2}## :cry:
I now know, however.

archaic said:
The I'd have ##1.98V\,g## of matter but I don't see how that can help.

If there is 1L of gas, how many moles is that?

Basically the information given allows you to write system of two linear equations - one to express total mass in terms of sum of masses, the other to express total number number of moles as sum of numbers of moles.

Using average molar mass is equivalent to one of possible "middle" stages of the math involved you can reach when solving this system of equations.

Borek said:
If there is 1L of gas, how many moles is that?

Basically the information given allows you to write system of two linear equations - one to express total mass in terms of sum of masses, the other to express total number number of moles as sum of numbers of moles.

Using average molar mass is equivalent to one of possible "middle" stages of the math involved you can reach when solving this system of equations.
Yes, I also read this from the solution, I understand better now, although I am disappointed that I couldn't find the solution.
$$\%w_{m_1}=\frac{m_1}{\rho V}*100\%\Leftrightarrow m_1=\%w_{m_1}\rho V/100\%\\
\%w_{m_2}=\frac{m_2}{\rho V}*100\%=100\%-\%w_{m_1}\Leftrightarrow m_2=(100\%-\%w_{m_1})\rho V/100\%\\
n=\frac{m_1}{M_1}+\frac{m_2}{M_2}=\frac{\rho V}{100\%}\left(\frac{\%w_{m_1}}{M_1}+\frac{100\%-\%w_{m_1}}{M_2}\right)=\frac{PV}{RT}$$
We can then solve for the percent weight.

Related to How to Calculate the Percent Weight of Components in a Gas Mixture?

1. How do you find the percentage weight of a substance?

To find the percentage weight of a substance, you need to divide the weight of the substance by the total weight and then multiply by 100. This will give you the percentage weight of the substance in the total weight.

2. What is the formula for finding percentage weight?

The formula for finding percentage weight is: (Substance weight / Total weight) x 100.

3. Can you explain the concept of percentage weight in scientific terms?

Percentage weight, also known as mass percentage, is a measure of the amount of one substance in relation to the total weight of a mixture or solution. It is expressed as a percentage and is commonly used in chemistry and other scientific fields to quantify the composition of a substance.

4. How do you convert a decimal into a percentage weight?

To convert a decimal into a percentage weight, you need to multiply the decimal by 100. For example, if a substance has a weight of 0.25, the percentage weight would be 25% (0.25 x 100 = 25).

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when finding percentage weight?

One common mistake to avoid when finding percentage weight is forgetting to convert the decimal into a percentage by multiplying by 100. It is also important to make sure that you are using the correct units for both the substance weight and the total weight.