How to calculate transmissivity of a set of reflective foils

In summary: For example, the emissivity of the material.In summary, the infinitely thin gold foil will only emit 0.5% of the radiation that is absorbed, because of the reflection and emission between the layers.
Christofer Br
Suppose I have an infinitely thin foil that absorbs 1% of incoming radiation. It therefore emits 0.5% of the incoming radiation in both directions perpendicular to the plane of the foil. That is, transmission is 0.5%. How to calculate transmission for a series of such foils? There will be a lot of absorbtion and reemission between the layers and I don't know how to integrate all of this

Science news on Phys.org
Christofer Br said:
That is, transmission is 0.5%
I am wondering what happens to the remaining 99% of the radiation after the first foil in your thought experiment. The reflection will depend on the Dielectric constant of the foil. See this link on Fresnel Equations.

sophiecentaur said:
I am wondering what happens to the remaining 99% of the radiation after the first foil in your thought experiment. The reflection will depend on the Dielectric constant of the foil. See this link on Fresnel Equations.
It will be reflected, the foil is a conductor (lets assume it's gold because it has relatively constant emissivity across a very broad spectrum, exact properties are not important) - so it REFLECTED 99% and emitted additional 0.5% in one direction

Last edited:
An "infinitely thin" foil is a bit too much of an abstraction for this question. Loads of light will pass through a thin enough gold foil. Just how thick are you suggesting?

sophiecentaur said:
An "infinitely thin" foil is a bit too much of an abstraction for this question. Loads of light will pass through a thin enough gold foil. Just how thick are you suggesting?
Just consider that all the light is either reflected or absorbed, and the absorbed light is immediately emitted equally in both directions perpendicular to the plane of the foil (thats why I insisted on an infinitely thin foil, so we can ignore emmisions from the "sides")

Christofer Br said:
Just consider that all the light is either reflected or absorbed, and the absorbed light is immediately emitted equally in both directions perpendicular to the plane of the foil (thats why I insisted on an infinitely thin foil, so we can ignore emmisions from the "sides")
You are assuming that the transmitted light is not relevant here then? I have a problem with that.
Also, when light is absorbed, it will warm up the material and not re emit the same optical wavelength.
I think you need to modify your model to include some extra relevant parameters if you want to obtain a relevant result.

1. What is transmissivity and why is it important to calculate?

Transmissivity is a measure of how much light or radiation is able to pass through a material. It is important to calculate because it helps us understand the properties and capabilities of a material, such as reflective foils, and how it may affect the transmission of light or radiation in a given system.

2. What factors affect the transmissivity of reflective foils?

The transmissivity of reflective foils can be affected by several factors, including the composition of the foil (i.e. what it is made of), the thickness of the foil, the surface texture or finish, and the angle at which the light or radiation is hitting the foil.

3. How do I calculate the transmissivity of a set of reflective foils?

To calculate the transmissivity of a set of reflective foils, you will need to measure the amount of light or radiation that is transmitted through the foils and compare it to the amount of light or radiation that is incident upon the foils. This can be done using a spectrophotometer or by using mathematical equations that take into account the various factors that affect transmissivity.

4. Can the transmissivity of reflective foils be modified or improved?

Yes, the transmissivity of reflective foils can be modified or improved by changing the composition of the foil, altering the thickness or surface texture, or by using coatings or treatments that enhance the reflective properties of the foil.

5. How is transmissivity different from reflectivity?

Transmissivity and reflectivity are related but distinct properties. Transmissivity measures the amount of light or radiation that can pass through a material, while reflectivity measures the amount of light or radiation that is reflected off the surface of a material. A material with high transmissivity will allow more light or radiation to pass through, while a material with high reflectivity will reflect more light or radiation away.