How to check if a matrix is Hilbert space and unitary?

It is a huge abuse of language to say it has linearly independent eigenvectors and then "clarify" that you're talking about a subspace in reals in which the original matrix itself doesn't exist.In summary, the matrix in question cannot be classified as a unitary matrix in a Hilbert space because its square Frobenius norm is not equal to the dimension of the space. It is also not diagonalizable, but its eigenvectors are linearly independent. However, this contradicts the fact that an n x n matrix with complex scalars should have n eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors. The statement about the matrix's eigenvectors being independent in the subspace of real numbers is also unclear and contradictory.
SeM
I have a matrix,

[ a, ib; -1 1]

where a and b are constants.

I have to represent and analyse this matrix in a Hilbert space:

I take the space C^2 of this matrix is Hilbert space. Is it sufficient to generate the inner product:

<x,y> = a*ib -1

and obtain the norm by:

\begin{equation}
||x|| = ia
\end{equation}

to confirm its a unitary matrix in Hilbert space?

However the criteria:
\begin{equation}
<x,y> = a*ib -1 = \overline{<x,y>} = -a*b -i
\end{equation}

is not met. Instead, if I consider a Hilbert sequence space l^2, then I get:

<x, y> = -ab

where the norm is:

\begin{equation}
||x|| = <x,x>^{1/2} = a
\end{equation}

Is this correct, and if it is, can it be followed up by further analysis of the matrix in Hilbert space?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of problems here.

If your scalars are in ##\mathbb C## and you are in finite dimensions, you have a standard inner product and automatically are in a special type of Hilbert space. It's not really clear what you're asking though.

Now for your post: A big issue:
SeM said:
and obtain the norm by:

\begin{equation}
||x|| = ia
\end{equation}

It is not remotely clear how this "norm" qualifies as positive definite. With respect to preserving L2 norms and the standard inner product, it is worth pointing out that:
##
\begin{bmatrix}
a & bi \\
-1 & 1
\end{bmatrix}##

can never be called unitary. The squared Frobenius norm of an ##n ## x ##n## unitary matrix is ##n##.

For your matrix, this occurs iff ##a =0## and ##b= 0##, but then your matrix has a determinant of zero, and a unitary matrix always has a determinant with magnitude one.

The matrix is indeed not unitary. I asked the wrong question in the subject.

What I wanted to ask is:

1. Given that the matrix IS Hilbert space, and its eigenvectors are linearly independent, and eigenvalues are complex conjugates, what more can I say about it in a Hilbert space analysis?

It is really difficult to "visualize" or interpret a Hilbert space geometrically, and therefore it is equally difficult to determine the properties of the matrix that give some notion of its behaviour, either in matrix classification or for instance when regarding it general solution and representation of the solution in a Hilbert space.

In other words, I only know that I have to analyse this matrix, however I am not sure what to analyse more than the above given properties and eigenvalues.

StoneTemplePython said:
A big issue:It is not remotely clear how this "norm" qualifies as positive definite.Answer:

it does NOT qualify as positive definite (it gives a zero value when checking for positive definiteness

This posting still seems to be all over the place.

One suggestion is: if you know your matrix is diagonalizable, that's good. It would be nice to check to see if the matrix is normal (i.e. unitarily diagonalizable). check, does ##AA^* = A^* A##.

That's about all I have to say here. Good luck.

StoneTemplePython said:
One suggestion is: if you know your matrix is diagonalizable, that's good. It would be nice to check to see if the matrix is normal (i.e. unitarily diagonalizable). check, does ##AA^* = A^* A##.

That's about all I have to say here. Good luck.
Thanks, that is a concrete measure!Thanks!

Stone Temple, the matrix I have does not diagonalize, however its eigenvectors are linearily independent. Can I ALWAYS conclude that a Matrix is Hilbert space C^n, in this case C^2? I am unsure, because it is not unitary, it not diagonilazable, however it has linearily independent eigenvectors.

Can I check if the matrix is complete in some way and by that define it as Hilbert space?

SeM said:
Stone Temple, the matrix I have does not diagonalize, however its eigenvectors are linearily independent.

This is a contradiction. An n x n matrix with scalars in ##\mathbb C## has #n# eigenvalues. If you have n linearly independent eigenvectors, then your matrix is diagonalisable.

Likes WWGD
StoneTemplePython said:
This is a contradiction. An n x n matrix with scalars in ##\mathbb C## has #n# eigenvalues. If you have n linearly independent eigenvectors, then your matrix is diagonalisable.
They are not independent in C, but are so in the subspace R.

This is , I think, because both eigenvectors have complex conjugates, thus a real and an imaginary part.

I checked this with Mathematica Algebra tools.

SeM said:
Stone Temple, the matrix I have does not diagonalize, however its eigenvectors are linearily independent. Can I ALWAYS conclude that a Matrix is Hilbert space C^n, in this case C^2? I am unsure, because it is not unitary, it not diagonilazable, however it has linearily independent eigenvectors.

Can I check if the matrix is complete in some way and by that define it as Hilbert space?
I think you're being imprecise here. Don't you mean the matrix is _an element_ of a Hilbert space? Specifically here, as Python said, of ##\mathbb C^2 ##?( I think ; pretty sure,there is only one inner-product that will make ##\mathbb C^2 ## into a Hilbert space. I suggest tightening things to make a more precise statement.)

Last edited:
SeM said:
They are not independent in C, but are so in the subspace R.

This is , I think, because both eigenvectors have complex conjugates, thus a real and an imaginary part.

This also sounds wrong. Give me a singe example of 2 n-vectors that exist with scalars in ##\mathbb R## and are linearly independent there, but not when you allow scalars in ##\mathbb C##.
- - - -
Furthermore, to be crystal clear, you originally introduced a matrix with complex scalars (specifically with non-zero imaginary components). It is a huge abuse of language to say it has linearly independent eigenvectors and then "clarify" that you're talking about a subspace in reals in which the original matrix itself doesn't exist.

StoneTemplePython said:
This also sounds wrong. Give me a singe example of 2 n-vectors that exist with scalars in ##\mathbb R## and are linearly independent there, but not when you allow scalars in ##\mathbb C##.
- - - -
Furthermore, to be crystal clear, you originally introduced a matrix with complex scalars (specifically with non-zero imaginary components). It is a huge abuse of language to say it has linearly independent eigenvectors and then "clarify" that you're talking about a subspace in reals in which the original matrix itself doesn't exist.
This is all new to me, please try it out on Wolfram Alpha Algebra online. I can give you the vector coordinates here:

e_1 = (1, -1.3394^-66 + 1.1272^-61i)
e_2 = (1, 0.5000 + 1.3229i)

and the matrix is:

|1.0545718^-68, (5.344285879^-28)/2*1.0545718^-34*i|
|-1 , 1|

StoneTemplePython said:
- - - -

No, I checked today, and this is an element of L^2[a,b] and is complete in the complex space. Thanks for the clarification, it is indeed an element of Hilbert space, but I have also read that a matrix can BE Hilbert space.

I doubt the matrix itself is a Hilbert space; no matter how you define the (finitely-many) elements of the space, the scalar product of elements will not fall within the space, i.e., the matrix is not closed under scaling, so not a vector space, unless you concoct some esoteric action of scalars on the elements. And you don't have the origin in your set either. Specifically, this is not a vector space, a needed condition to have a Hilbert space.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
I doubt the matrix itself is a Hilbert space; no matter how you define the (finitely-many) elements of the space, the scalar product of elements will not fall within the space, i.e., the matrix is not closed under scaling, so not a vector space, unless you concoct some esoteric action of scalars on the elements. And you don't have the origin in your set either.

Still it can be classified as a matrix in L^2 [a,b] complex space.

The matrix has non-orthogonal elements and is a complex matrix that follows the condition:

\begin{equation}
\langle x,y \rangle = \int_a^bx(t)\overline{y(t)}dt,
\end{equation}which is complete in the complex vector space $L^2[a,b]$, which satisfies the minimal condition:

\begin{equation*}
x(t)\overline{x(t)}=|x(t)|^2
\end{equation*}

$L^2[a,b]$ is therefore Hilbert space with a set of complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors. \\

SeM said:
Still it can be classified as a matrix in L^2 [a,b] complex space.

The matrix has non-orthogonal elements and is a complex matrix that follows the condition:

\begin{equation}
\langle x,y \rangle = \int_a^bx(t)\overline{y(t)}dt,
\end{equation}which is complete in the complex vector space $L^2[a,b]$, which satisfies the minimal condition:

\begin{equation*}
x(t)\overline{x(t)}=|x(t)|^2
\end{equation*}

$L^2[a,b]$ is therefore Hilbert space with a set of complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors. \\
Yes, just going over statement you made about the matrix itself being a Hilbert space. But, yes, the space of pair ##<a,b>: a,b \in \mathbb C ## with the inner-product you mentioned is a Hilbert space. as you said; ##\mathbb C^2 ##, and in general ## \mathbb C^n ## are Hilbert spaces.

Likes SeM
Thanks WWGD for confirming!

Likes WWGD

1. How do I check if a matrix is a Hilbert space?

To check if a matrix is a Hilbert space, you need to ensure that it is a complex vector space with an inner product defined on it. This inner product must satisfy certain properties, such as being linear and positive definite. Additionally, the space must be complete, meaning that every Cauchy sequence in the space must converge to a point in the space.

2. What is the inner product used to check for Hilbert space?

The inner product used to check for Hilbert space is known as the Hermitian inner product. It is similar to the dot product used in Euclidean spaces, but it takes into account the complex conjugate of one of the vectors in the product. This inner product is used to define the norm and orthogonality of vectors in a Hilbert space.

3. How is the completeness of a Hilbert space determined?

The completeness of a Hilbert space can be determined by checking if every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a point in the space. This means that the space must contain all its limit points. One way to check for completeness is by using the Cauchy convergence criterion, which states that a sequence is convergent if and only if it is a Cauchy sequence.

4. What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix with complex entries that preserves the Hermitian inner product. This means that when multiplied by its conjugate transpose, the resulting matrix is equal to the identity matrix. In other words, a unitary matrix is an isometry in a complex vector space, meaning that it preserves the norm and angle between vectors.

5. How do I check if a matrix is unitary?

To check if a matrix is unitary, you can multiply it by its conjugate transpose and see if the resulting matrix is equal to the identity matrix. Alternatively, you can check if the columns of the matrix form an orthonormal basis, meaning that they are all unit vectors and are pairwise orthogonal. Keep in mind that unitary matrices are only defined for square matrices.