How to compute logarithm with pen and paper?

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of logarithms and various methods used to estimate their values. It mentions the history of logarithms and the use of logarithm tables by mathematicians. The conversation also touches on the use of series approximation and the role of savants in calculating numbers. Online resources for learning more about series and their convergence are also mentioned.
late347
If you had something particularly nasty like

##log_{10}(9)## = ?
I asked my teacher about how to begin approaching that kind of computation of logarithm.
He was not very interesyed in explaining the procedures of estimating the value of the log. Perhaps the procedure went beyond the scope of our math course at the time.

For sure, I think John Napier did not have a calculator which he could just push some buttons. Evidently Napier used some method to compute values which he made into logarithm tables so the logarithm tables could be used by other people to perform calculations.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here's some history of how Napier did it:

http://www.maa.org/press/periodical...ar-function-john-napier-introduces-logarithms

Some folks use the series approximation to get a few logarithms and then add, subtract, and multiply them to get the logs of other numbers. As an example, given the log(2) and the log(3) then log(2)+log(3)=log(6) ...

You could use the appropriate natural log series as the starting point for computing the first natural logarithm and then go from there.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Math/lnseries.html

jedishrfu said:
Here's some history of how Napier did it:

http://www.maa.org/press/periodical...ar-function-john-napier-introduces-logarithms

Some folks use the series approximation to get a few logarithms and then add, subtract, and multiply them to get the logs of other numbers. As an example, given the log(2) and the log(3) then log(2)+log(3)=log(6) ...

You could use the appropriate natural log series as the starting point for computing the first natural logarithm and then go from there.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Math/lnseries.html
Thanks for pointing me in a direction, I will investigate the matter further from there, I think.:woot:

He made the logarithm tables so others didn't have to re-calculate it every time. A lot of Taylor series. Calculators are not magic - they only perform operations every human can do as well. They are just faster.

For a rough approximation:
##\log_{10}(9) = \frac{ln(10\cdot 0.9)}{ln(10)} = \frac{ln(10) + ln(0.9)}{ln(10)} = 1 + \frac{ln(0.9)}{ln(10)} \approx 1+ \frac{-0.1}{2.3} = 1-0.04 = 0.96##.

Close to the actual value of about 0.9542.

With respect to the natural log, you may consider using a Pade approximation -- this should lead to a much tighter approximation for a given number of terms in a taylor polynomial. The underlying continued fraction is quite intuitive -- though if you are looking for analytical properties, a linear combination of polynomials (i.e. a taylor polynomial) is a lot easier to use than nested fractions.

Mathematicians of old would often hire "idiot savants" who could do amazing math calculations in their heads. They could generate tables. They can not describe how they do the calculations. Some talk about how different numbers taste, feel, or smell.

FactChecker said:
Mathematicians of old would often hire "idiot savants" who could do amazing math calculations in their heads. They could generate tables. They can not describe how they do the calculations. Some talk about how different numbers taste, feel, or smell.

Do you have a reference for that? I'd be interested in reading about it.

I don't doubt its true since many great artists actually ran workshops with assistants doing much of the mundane work so perhaps mathematicians used their students in the same way.

We have only had the basics of sequences and series taught to us so far.

Are there any online resources for reading about how series and how they work? I sometimes browse around math stackexchange and saw that series can converge for example.

I suspect that these are taught somewhere in calculus based courses/books?

late347 said:
I suspect that these are taught somewhere in calculus based courses/books?
No. Calculating numbers is in the realm of numerical mathematics, a very different discipline. By the way, I Googled "approximating logarithms" and got 20 million hits.

jedishrfu said:
Do you have a reference for that? I'd be interested in reading about it.

I don't doubt its true since many great artists actually ran workshops with assistants doing much of the mundane work so perhaps mathematicians used their students in the same way.
I think I read that they used savants in Bell's "Men of Mathematics" long ago (30 years?). The part about the savants trying to describe their methods in terms of taste, smell, feel, etc. was something I gathered from several TV reports over a period of time.

Likes jedishrfu
FactChecker said:
I think I read that they used savants in Bell's "Men of Mathematics" long ago (30 years?). The part about the savants trying to describe their methods in terms of taste, smell, feel, etc. was something I gathered from several TV reports over a period of time.

Yes, I've seen those documentaries. There's one guy, Daniel Tammet who was able to recite PI to thousands of places and who was able to be fluent in Icelandic in a very short time. He also apparently has synesthesia where he sees numbers as colors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Tammet

Likes FactChecker

1. How do I determine the base of a logarithm?

The base of a logarithm is the number that is raised to a power in order to get the argument of the logarithm. For example, in the logarithm log2(8), the base is 2.

2. What is the difference between natural logarithm and common logarithm?

Natural logarithm (ln) is a logarithm with base e, where e is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. Common logarithm (log) is a logarithm with base 10. In other words, ln(x) is the logarithm of x to the base e, while log(x) is the logarithm of x to the base 10.

3. How do I compute a logarithm with pen and paper?

To compute a logarithm with pen and paper, you can use the logarithm laws and basic exponent rules. First, rewrite the logarithm in its exponential form. Then, solve for the unknown variable by using exponent rules and simplifying the equation.

4. How do I handle negative numbers in logarithms?

Logarithms of negative numbers are undefined in the real number system. However, they do exist in complex analysis. If you are calculating a logarithm with pen and paper, you can only use positive numbers as arguments for the logarithm function.

5. Can I use a calculator to compute logarithms?

Yes, you can use a calculator to compute logarithms. However, it is important to understand the concept and steps of computing logarithms with pen and paper in order to fully grasp the mathematical concept behind it. Additionally, some logarithm calculators may only give approximate values, while computing by hand can give more precise answers.