How to Convert TMESH Data to Text Files in MCNP6 Using Python"

rai915
I would like to analyse mdata of tmesh in MCNP6 by python, but I am struggling how to convert mdata (unformatted binary) to any text file in python.
I used GRIDCONV but it's not suitable for automations.

I also used scipy.io.Fortrunfile but could not convert the file because I was not sure fortrun setting for output, like endians.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Are you also generating a mctal file and does this not have what you need as text when you do a tmesh?

If the data is right https://github.com/ipostuma/MCNPtools might help to plot what you want.

Alex A said:
Welcome to PF!

Are you also generating a mctal file and does this not have what you need as text when you do a tmesh?

If the data is right https://github.com/ipostuma/MCNPtools might help to plot what you want.
Thank you for the reply, but I want to have MDATA generated by tmesh option, not mctal.
MDATA is the tmesh tally data, with unformatted binary.

I'm assuming the reason you don't want to use gridconv is because it's interactive. What OS are you using?

For linux if you made a program that printed
Code:
y
mdatatext
and ran it with program.py | gridconv
That would take a binary format file called mdata and convert it to a text file called mdatatext
That is three enters, y(enter), mdatatext(enter), and two enters. This is for an older version but if it's changed I imagine it won't be much.

Patching the source would also work, if you don't have the source patching the binary will also work.

Thank you Alex, I solved it to control interactive GUIDCONV by pexpect:)

Likes zhj2024 and Alex A

1. What is TMESH data in MCNP6?

TMESH data in MCNP6 refers to the mesh tally outputs that are generated by the Monte Carlo N-Particle (MCNP) transport code, which is used for neutron, photon, electron, or coupled particle transport simulations. The mesh tally feature in MCNP6 allows users to specify a structured grid over the simulation geometry to record particle interactions, energy deposition, or other quantities of interest.

2. Why would one need to convert TMESH data to text files?

Converting TMESH data to text files is often necessary for analysis and visualization purposes. Text files are easier to manipulate and can be readily imported into various data processing software like Excel, MATLAB, or Python-based tools for further analysis, graphing, and interpretation of the results.

3. How can Python be used to convert TMESH data to text files?

Python can be used to parse the binary or formatted output files from MCNP6 containing TMESH data, extract the relevant data, and then write this data to a text file. This typically involves reading the file, identifying the sections that contain the TMESH data, extracting these data, and then formatting and writing them to a new text file. Libraries such as NumPy and pandas can be very helpful in managing and exporting the data efficiently.

4. What are the steps involved in converting TMESH data using Python?

The basic steps to convert TMESH data using Python include:1. Reading the MCNP6 output file that contains the TMESH tally results.2. Parsing the file to locate and isolate the TMESH data blocks.3. Extracting the relevant data points from these blocks.4. Optionally processing or aggregating the data as required.5. Writing the processed data to a new text file using a format that suits your needs, often CSV for easy use in other applications.

5. Are there any specific Python libraries or modules recommended for this task?

Yes, for handling TMESH data conversion, the following Python libraries are highly recommended:- NumPy: Useful for handling large arrays of numerical data efficiently.- pandas: Provides extensive tools for data manipulation and can be used to create well-structured data frames and easily export to various formats including CSV.- matplotlib or Plotly for visualization, if needed.Additionally, using the struct module might be necessary to unpack binary data if the MCNP output is in binary form.