How to decide on my career path?

In summary, the speaker enjoys science and research, but had a negative experience with a professor in a physics class. They are unsure about their career path and considering computer science or engineering instead. They also express a desire to help people and are concerned about the financial aspect of pursuing a physics major. The speaker is seeking advice as they are currently in community college and applying for transfer to universities. They also mention their age and the potential for engineering as an alternative option.
Mary Abgarian
I do like science a lot and I am good at it when i study. I also enjoy research as i have had 2 research internships which i enjoyed. But recently, for my physics 103, i had a professor that seemed to like have answers to everything, and it made me somewhat uninterested in the subject for whatever reason. Like he was very heavy on math (theoretical physicist), and when i'd ask him questions about quantum physics starting with "why", he would kinda dodge them and be like "it's what it is". While i totally agree with him that it's what it is, i still think there is a reason that we can figure out. He is super smart though and idk.
It makes me a bit uninterested to be in his class..he goes way too fast and doesn't follow the book and doesn't even test us on much of the things he talks about.

Now back to the real question...i'm confused about my career path. I want to pursue science but i am worried about the money aspect. I might need to support my family through some things and i am afraid that with a physics major i may not be able to do that on a timely manner. My question is...given that i am unsure about my passion about this subject now, and given that i need to make money faster, should i perhaps go for computer science (which i also enjoy and have background in) instead? Or is double majoring a good idea?

What excites me about physics is the fact that nothing is for certain, and we can always questions things and there is always a why. What i love to do is experiments and measurements. Sure math is great too but i have to work on my math skills more. I think perhaps i got a bit discouraged from physics due to the heavy math in quantum mech and relativity. I admit that those are my weaknesses and that being discouraged by it is cowardly. But for whatever reason, i really don't like that we seem to "have answers to almost everything", because it makes things less interesting perhaps, i don't know.

I also want to be able to help people with my job and don't know how doing research in physics can directly help people.

Please give me some pointers, as i am applying for transfer to universities ( i am in community college right now), and i want to make the right decision. Also, i am 25, if that makes any difference.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might consider some kind of engineering also. In engineering you get to use your science and math background, but apply it to real world problems like designing products or structures.

Mary Abgarian said:
I might need to support my family through some things

If you need to start earning serious money soon, then a computer science major (programming) or engineering (as phyzguy suggested), would probably be better than physics, provided of course that it's something you enjoy doing, so you can keep on doing it without feeling "trapped" in it.

The problem with a physics bachelor's is that it doesn't really lead to jobs in physics immediately. For that, you pretty much have to go to grad school for a Ph.D in physics, or a master's in something else like engineering. Ph.D students get enough money to support themselves, but not really a family. It would probably be at least 5-6 years after finishing your bachelor's, before you get a real job. I was at a normal age for going through the process, and I didn't get my first real job until I was 29.

Likes symbolipoint

1. What should I consider when deciding on my career path?

When deciding on a career path, it is important to consider your interests, skills, values, and goals. Think about what you enjoy doing and what you are good at. Also, consider what is important to you and what you want to achieve in your career.

2. How can I explore different career options?

There are several ways to explore different career options. You can do research online, talk to people who are currently working in fields that interest you, attend career fairs, and participate in internships or job shadowing.

3. Should I choose a career based on salary?

While salary is an important factor to consider, it should not be the only determining factor in choosing a career. It is important to also consider your interests, skills, and job satisfaction. A high-paying job may not necessarily make you happy if you do not enjoy the work.

4. Is it possible to change career paths?

Yes, it is possible to change career paths at any point in your life. Many people switch careers multiple times throughout their lives. It is important to continuously re-evaluate your interests, skills, and goals to determine if a change in career is necessary for your personal and professional growth.

5. How can I make a decision if I am unsure about my career goals?

If you are unsure about your career goals, it can be helpful to talk to a career counselor or mentor. They can provide guidance and help you explore your interests and strengths. It is also important to gain experience through internships or volunteering to get a better understanding of different career paths and what may be the best fit for you.