How to derive a simple profit equation. Kinda embarrassing.

In summary: It's always helpful to have a deeper understanding of the math behind a problem, especially when it comes to creating a useful tool like this calculator. Great job!In summary, the conversation is about creating an Excel file that serves as a calculator for determining the total price of a transaction after fees, profit, and supplier cost. The goal is to have a specific profit amount of $5, without using a percentage for profit. The conversation also discusses the use of algebra to find the total price and transaction fee, as well as the ability to customize the percentage for the transaction fee in the calculator.
AcousticBruce
I made this excel file that is basically a calculator. It needs to create a Total price after fees, profit and supplier cost. Most profit margin calculators have you add a percentage for profit... this is not what I want. I have a hard dollar amount.

You must know that the entire transaction includes supplier cost, profit and fee. The fee is charged from the total of the Transaction. I do not want to brute force until I find a total price that equals 5 bucks in profit.

For instance...

Supplier Cost : $50
Profit I want to make : $5
10% Transaction Fee : ?
Total to charge : Some unknown without brute force.

Currently you put the Supplier cost and a GUESS of the Total price. And keep adjusting while watching your profit until it gets to $5 bucks.So here is an example...

Enter Supplier cost... ___$50___
Enter Profit to make... ___$5____

With this info I need it to spit out the total to charge so that the money left in the account is enough to
*pay supplier
*Pay transaction fee
*And exact profit of $5 is what is left.

In this case...
*Fee is: $6.11
*Total price is $61.11

Customer is charged 61.11 and we pay a transaction fee and a profit. It should zero out.Does this make sense?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you tried algebra?

You know:

T = total price

X = transaction cost

F = transaction fee = 0.1 * X

F + X = T or 0.1 * X + X = T, which means

1.1 * X = T

X = T / 1.1

X = Cost + Profit = T / 1.1

So Profit = (Total Price / 1.1) - Cost

Something like this?

The problem is we have 2 unknowns: Transaction fee and Total Price.

Fee can be derived from Total Price.
Total price can be derived from Fee + Cost + Profit

We only have Cost and Profit

Basically, I could write a brute force method in Java, but I just think there is some math I do not understand. Probably because there is 2 missing variables. Fee and Total.Edit: I looked at your math and I am unsure it does what I am trying to do. Maybe I am missing something. Thank you.

AcousticBruce said:
Basically, I could write a brute force method in Java, but I just think there is some math I do not understand. Probably because there is 2 missing variables. Fee and Total.Edit: I looked at your math and I am unsure it does what I am trying to do. Maybe I am missing something. Thank you.

You have two variables, but you also have two equations that relate those variables.

S = supplier cost
P = profit to make
F = transaction fee
T = total price

So we have that

T = S+F+P

We know S and P, so they're constants, so we have two variables in that equation, T and F.
The other equation is:

0.1*T = F

So then if we plug 0.1*T for F into the first equation, then we get

T = S + 0.1*T + P

solving for T,

T - 0.1*T = S+P
(1-0.1)T = S+P
T = (S+P)/0.9

and then plugging this value for T back into the second equation, we get

0.1*(S+P)/0.9 = F

So your two results are

T = 10/9*(S+P)
F = 1/9*(S+P)

You can easily generalize this procedure so that you can use any % in your transaction fee that you wish.

Wonderful! Thank you both for the time and effort not only does this work, but I understand it completely. I also added a way to change the percentage on the calculator. Wonderful!

AcousticBruce said:
Wonderful! Thank you both for the time and effort not only does this work
Well of course it works, it's Math ;)

AcousticBruce said:
but I understand it completely. I also added a way to change the percentage on the calculator. Wonderful!
That's good to hear!

1. How do you derive a simple profit equation?

To derive a simple profit equation, you need to first determine the total revenue and total costs for a given period. The profit equation is then calculated by subtracting the total costs from the total revenue.

2. What is the purpose of a simple profit equation?

The purpose of a simple profit equation is to determine the profitability of a business or project. It allows for a quick and easy calculation of the amount of profit generated from a given amount of revenue and costs.

3. What are the key components of a simple profit equation?

The key components of a simple profit equation are total revenue, total costs, and profit. Total revenue refers to the total amount of money earned from sales or services, while total costs include all expenses incurred in producing or providing those goods or services.

4. How can a simple profit equation be used for decision making?

A simple profit equation can be used to inform decision making by providing a clear understanding of the financial impact of different choices. By comparing the profitability of different options, businesses can make informed decisions to increase profits and minimize costs.

5. Can a simple profit equation be used for long-term analysis?

While a simple profit equation can provide a quick and easy calculation of profit for a given period, it may not be suitable for long-term analysis as it does not take into account factors such as depreciation and changes in market conditions. For more accurate and comprehensive analysis, other financial tools and equations should also be considered.