How to derive an equation from a graph

In summary: Thanks for the reply, I'll try that. If it doesn't work out I will come back for more help!How come you only included weeks 15-25 on the scatter plot? You should include all the data on the scatter plot, and you will see a much better correlation.
Cryphisss

Homework Statement

Hello! I have two graphs which I need to find if there is relationship between them (all in one).

I have to create a formula/equation that can show and prove that there is this relationship between them.I am really confused at the moment since I do not know if there is any correlation, I have examined the two graphs and so far I don't think there is any correlation. The graph represents Prey and Predators number. X axis is time (weeks), Y axis is numbers. When the pre

y number starts to increase the predator number starts to increase as well.

Here are the numbers of Prey from week 15 to 25:

495, 550, 560, 620, 720, 690, 750, 740, 950, 800, 650

And here are the number of population for Predators from week 15 to week 25:

15, 20, 50, 80, 110, 190, 200, 250, 360, 380, 650,

Homework Equations

Can I also use LinReg (for Prey graph) and ExpReg (for Predator graph) on a GDC? (Ti-84+)

The Attempt at a Solution

I created a scatter plot which can be found to the attached documents so it can be easier for me to illustrate if there is any correlation.
Also it is clearly visible on the predator graph that it is Exponential however the prey graph is not.

About the formula I was thinking of something like P = a.e^Inb.t

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Attachments

• tmp23.jpg
    tmp23.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 432
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 20.32.47.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 20.32.47.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cryphisss said:

Homework Statement

Hello! I have two graphs which I need to find if there is relationship between them (all in one).

I have to create a formula/equation that can show and prove that there is this relationship between them.

I am really confused at the moment since I do not know if there is any correlation, I have examined the two graphs and so far I don't think there is any correlation.

The graph represents Pray and Predators number. X axis is time (weeks), Y axis is numbers. When the pray number starts to increase the predator number starts to increase as well.

Here are the numbers of Pray from week 15 to 25:

495, 550, 560, 620, 720, 690, 750, 740, 950, 800, 650

And here are the number of population for Predators from week 15 to week 25:

15, 20, 50, 80, 110, 190, 200, 250, 360, 380, 650,

Homework Equations

Can I also use LinReg (for Pray graph) and ExpReg (for Predator graph) on a GDC? (Ti-84+)

I created a scatter plot which can be found to the attached documents so it can be easier for me to illustrate if there is any correlation.
Also it is clearly visible on the predator graph that it is Exponential however the pray graph is not.

About the formula I was thinking of something like P = a.e^Inb.t

Note: the first graph shows very clearly that the word is "prey", not "pray".

Cryphisss said:

I am really confused at the moment since I do not know if there is any correlation, I have examined the two graphs and so far I don't think there is any correlation.

There clearly is a correlation. The number of predators follows the number prey with some ratio, and with a time lag (and maybe some other correction factors).

Try out a formula that shows the ratio of prey to predators (it's a ratio >1), and include some time lag in the function. Then calculate your overall error versus the graph, and see if you can adjust the ratio and time lag parameters to give you a good correlation. Then for whatever errors you still have, see if you can figure out smaller correction factors to put into the equation. For example, the seasons of the year may be a factor in their populations as well...

berkeman said:
There clearly is a correlation. The number of predators follows the number prey with some ratio, and with a time lag (and maybe some other correction factors).

Try out a formula that shows the ratio of prey to predators (it's a ratio >1), and include some time lag in the function. Then calculate your overall error versus the graph, and see if you can adjust the ratio and time lag parameters to give you a good correlation. Then for whatever errors you still have, see if you can figure out smaller correction factors to put into the equation. For example, the seasons of the year may be a factor in their populations as well...

Thanks for the reply, I'll try that. If it doesn't work out I will come back for more help!

How come you only included weeks 15-25 on the scatter plot? You should include all the data on the scatter plot, and you will see a much better correlation.

Chet

Related to How to derive an equation from a graph

1. How do you determine the slope of a line from a graph?

To determine the slope of a line from a graph, you can choose two points on the line and use the formula: slope = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1). This will give you the change in y divided by the change in x, which represents the slope of the line.

2. What is the process for finding the intercepts of a line from a graph?

To find the intercepts of a line from a graph, you can simply look at where the line crosses the x-axis (x-intercept) and where it crosses the y-axis (y-intercept). These points represent the coordinates of the intercepts.

3. How do you determine the equation of a line from a graph?

To determine the equation of a line from a graph, you can use the slope-intercept form: y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. You can find the slope by using the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1) and then plug in the slope and one set of coordinates into the equation to solve for b.

4. Can you derive an equation from a nonlinear graph?

Yes, you can derive an equation from a nonlinear graph. However, the process is more complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques such as calculus. Nonlinear graphs do not follow a straight line, so the slope and intercepts cannot be determined as easily as with linear graphs.

5. Are there any limitations to deriving an equation from a graph?

While deriving an equation from a graph is a useful tool in many scientific fields, it does have some limitations. It is primarily used for linear graphs and may not accurately represent the behavior of nonlinear graphs. Additionally, small errors or inconsistencies in the data can lead to inaccurate equations.