How to derive Coulomb's Law using F=eE

In summary, the person bought a physics textbook for self-teaching and learned how to derive Coulomb's Law. They question if the content is too advanced for a high school senior and are advised to return the book if they are not comfortable with partial differential equations. It is mentioned that these equations are used frequently in modern physics. The person plans to come back to the book after finishing multivariable calculus.
devious_
I didn't know where else to post this, so sorry if this is the wrong subforum.

Anyway, I bought myself a physics textbook for self-teaching purposes. I decided to take a look at its Fields chapters, and now I know how to derive Coulomb's Law using F=eE and Φ=∫ E dS. Right, so how advanced is this stuff? I feel it's a little too much for a high school senior. :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, it is too much for your brain.

Refund it.

If you are comfortable around partial differential equations, go ahead!
Just for the record:
Partial differential equations are used A LOT in modern physics, it's an indispensable tool.

I still haven't finished multivariable calculus, but I will soon. I guess I'll come back to this book in a while.

Thanks

Related to How to derive Coulomb's Law using F=eE

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What does F=eE represent in Coulomb's Law?

F represents the force between two charged particles, e represents the magnitude of the charges of the particles, and E represents the electric field created by one of the particles at the location of the other particle.

3. How can Coulomb's Law be derived using F=eE?

To derive Coulomb's Law using F=eE, we start with the definition of electric field, E = F/q, where F is the force experienced by a charge q in an electric field. We then substitute this into F=eE, giving F = eeE. We can then rearrange this to get Coulomb's Law, F = (e1e2)/r2, where e1 and e2 are the charges of the two particles and r is the distance between them.

4. What are the units of F=eE?

The units of F=eE are Newtons (N), which is the unit of force in the SI system. This is because F represents force, e represents charge (which is measured in Coulombs), and E represents electric field (which is measured in Newtons per Coulomb).

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to point charges only?

No, Coulomb's Law can be applied to any charged objects, not just point charges. However, for objects with finite size, the distance between the charges and the direction of the force may vary at different points on the object. In these cases, the force between the two objects can be calculated by breaking them down into smaller point charges and summing up the forces between each pair of charges.