How to derive pythagorean identity?

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a precalculus review packet that includes derivatives, which the student did not learn last year. The specific problem they are struggling with is deriving the equation sin^2 + cos^2 = 1 using the equations cos 0 = 1 and cos (x+y) = cos x cos y - sin x sin y. One person suggests choosing a value for y so that x+y = 0 and using the properties of even and odd functions to solve the problem. Another person suggests deriving the result from the unit circle to better understand the connection to Pythagoras. Finally, someone mentions deriving Pythagoras' formula from an ellipse. The student asks for further clarification.
colormyworld
I got some precalc review to prepare for calc, and after hours of doing the packet, I'm on the last problem set...but it's all about derivatives which we never touched on last year.

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to derive sin^2 + cos^2 = 1

Homework Equations

It says to use cos 0 =1, cos (x+y) = cos x cos y - sin x sin y, but I have no idea how to use these.

please help! I'm absolutely clueless at math :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
All you need to do is choose y so that x+y = 0 and thus cos (x+y) = 1 and plug your values into the right hand side of the equation you're given. You will also need to know about cos being an even function and sin being an odd function.

Thanks! I got it

Its not the best derivation of the result because it leaves you wondering what Pythagoras has to do with it. Its best to derive this result from the unit circle where the x coordinate is given by cos(x) and the y coordinate by sin (x) then it becomes immediately apparent where Pythagoras comes in.

That interseting because i just derived pythagoras c^2=a^2+b^2 formula from an ellipse, very enlightening.

Last edited:
sorry but can anyone please explain it to me again? i don't understand why you have to choose a value for y and not x and i don't see how even/odd functions will be used

Related to How to derive pythagorean identity?

1. What is the Pythagorean identity?

The Pythagorean identity is a mathematical theorem that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. It is represented by the equation a² + b² = c², where a and b are the lengths of the legs of the triangle and c is the length of the hypotenuse.

2. How is the Pythagorean identity derived?

The Pythagorean identity can be derived using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. By substituting the variables a, b, and c with the lengths of the sides of the triangle, the Pythagorean identity a² + b² = c² can be derived.

3. What are the applications of the Pythagorean identity?

The Pythagorean identity has numerous applications in mathematics, science, and engineering. It is used to solve problems involving right triangles, such as finding the missing side length or angle measure. It is also used in trigonometry to derive other trigonometric identities and to solve trigonometric equations.

4. Can the Pythagorean identity be extended to other shapes?

No, the Pythagorean identity only applies to right triangles. However, there are similar identities that apply to other shapes. For example, there is a Pythagorean identity for circles, which states that in a right triangle inscribed in a circle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the product of the lengths of the other two sides.

5. How can the Pythagorean identity be used in real-life situations?

The Pythagorean identity can be used in many real-life situations, such as determining the distance between two points on a map or calculating the height of a building. It can also be used in construction and architecture to ensure that structures are built with correct angles and measurements. In addition, the Pythagorean identity is used in physics and engineering to calculate forces and vectors.