How to design a vertical cylindrical Water tank

In summary, the conversation is about designing a vertical cylindrical water tank using Fiberglass materials. The tank needs to be able to withstand 7.5 m bar pressure and 2.5 m bar vacuum pressure, with dimensions of 4m diameter and 5m height, and a capacity of 60000 liters. The Fiberglass laminate is 6mm thick with a module of 1470000 psi, and there will be 50mm diameter plastic pipe ribs placed at 500mm intervals on the tank's outer wall. The speaker is seeking help with calculating the tank and clarifying design requirements. The expert advises against designing the tank and suggests drafting a design specification and sending it out for bids from tank manufacturers.
Jayani
I Need to design a Vertical cylindrical water tank to be build by Fiberglass. I need to calculate the tank also for 7.5 m bar pressure and 2.5 m bar vacuum pressure. Tank Dimensions to be 4m Dia, 5 m High (60000 Liters). I have Fiberglass laminate of 6 mm Thk and Modules is 1470000 psi. I have 50mm Dia plastic pipe ribs (rings) in an every 500 mm intervals on tank outside wall. How do I calculate this tank? Please help me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem? It always helps to write down the problem statement in some sort of a methodical way, have you started with some basics like a free body diagram?

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Jayani
Thanks for the reply. This is for build the same tank for one of our factories. I need to clarify the design requirements satisfaction. I'm not in touch with this calculations for a long time. So please help me to go through this.

Mech_Engineer said:
Is this a homework problem? It always helps to write down the problem statement in some sort of a methodical way, have you started with some basics like a free body diagram?

Thanks for the reply. This is for build the same tank for one of our factories. I need to clarify the design requirements satisfaction. I'm not in touch with this calculations for a long time. So please help me to go through this.

Not sure what you are using it for, but I have worked 29 years in project engineering and have bought and installed hundreds of tanks.

First things first. Unless you are a plant that builds its own equipment, do not design the tank. It does not pay off especially if used for chemicals or anything regulated.
Second, most tank manufacturers have in house people who can design their tanks in hours and know how they build it. use their expertise. that is why they are in business.
third, draft a design specification. Give them the service volume, the total volume (NEVER fill a tank 100%), operating pressure, design pressure, operating temperature, materials to be stored along with MSDS sheets, all fittings, manholes, instrumentation requirements, piping connections, flow rates, and a general description of how you use the tank. Also determine if the tank must meet government regulations and an industry spec. Is the tank a pressure vessel? Will the tank be inside or outside, heated, insulated or jacketed? What type of foundation will it sit on. Where is it and what is your access to install it? how do you rig the tank to set it and how close can the delivery vehicle get? What kind of rigging fixtures are needed. I always add a crude drawing showing the nozzles and fittings from each end and the side. Show them as degrees from 0 ref. and elevation from bottom of tank. Also remember you need to allow maintenance to service things. If insulated allow space.

Take the time to answer those issues, write up the spec, and send it out for comment in your organization. Then send it out to bid with at least 3 companies. Tell them to deliver at least 4 weeks prior to when you need it. It stinks to coordinate a delivery just in time during plant construction. Go to the supplier when they have basically assembled the tank in case there is an issue. Cheaper to alter the tank there.

Good luck.

1. What factors should be considered when designing a vertical cylindrical water tank?

When designing a vertical cylindrical water tank, several factors should be taken into consideration, such as the intended use of the tank, the volume of water needed, the location and terrain of the site, the type of soil and foundation, and the applicable building codes and regulations.

2. What materials are commonly used for constructing a vertical cylindrical water tank?

The most commonly used materials for constructing a vertical cylindrical water tank are concrete, steel, and composite materials. Concrete is durable and cost-effective, steel is strong and lightweight, and composite materials offer a combination of both properties.

3. How do you determine the appropriate size and capacity for a vertical cylindrical water tank?

The size and capacity of a vertical cylindrical water tank are determined by the intended use and the volume of water needed. The tank should be able to hold enough water to meet the demand without being too large and costly. Factors such as population, water usage, and climate should also be considered when determining the size and capacity.

4. What are the key design considerations for ensuring structural stability of a vertical cylindrical water tank?

The key design considerations for ensuring the structural stability of a vertical cylindrical water tank include the type and quality of materials used, proper foundation and anchoring, appropriate wall thickness and reinforcement, and adherence to building codes and regulations. Regular maintenance and inspections are also important to ensure the continued stability of the tank.

5. How can a vertical cylindrical water tank be designed to be more efficient and sustainable?

To design a more efficient and sustainable vertical cylindrical water tank, various factors should be considered, such as incorporating renewable energy sources for water pumping, using eco-friendly materials, implementing water-saving features, and ensuring proper insulation to reduce energy consumption. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper management of the water supply can also contribute to the efficiency and sustainability of the tank.