How to divide a circumference into equal parts, WITHOUT COMPASS?

I'm not sure why you'd want to do this. In summary, to divide a circumference into equal parts given a certain amount of parts, you can use the formula circumference = π * diameter and then divide the result by the desired number of parts. In this example, the length of each part would be approximately 4.03 centimeters.
inuke
Hi guys I have the length of a circumference, how do you divide it into equal parts given a certain amount of parts?

For example, I want to divide a circumference into 78 equal parts, and the circumference diameter is 1 meter!

Whats the length of each part? And how do you calculate it? (no compass please) Maths only please.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
inuke said:
Hi guys I have the length of a circumference, how do you divide it into equal parts given a certain amount of parts?

For example, I want to divide a circumference into 78 equal parts, and the circumference diameter is 1 meter!

Whats the length of each part? And how do you calculate it? (no compass please) Maths only please.
No idea why you'd want to do that(!), but here goes:
(changing 1 meter to centimeters to make it more readable)
1 meter = 100 cm = diameter
circumference = π * d = ~314.16 (π = pi = ~3.1416)
314.16 / 78 = ~4.03

Hope that helps you...

1. How many equal parts can a circumference be divided into without using a compass?

A circumference can be divided into any number of equal parts without using a compass. However, for practical purposes, it is recommended to divide it into 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, or 24 equal parts.

2. What is the most accurate way to divide a circumference into equal parts without a compass?

The most accurate way to divide a circumference into equal parts without a compass is by using a protractor. Measure the circumference and divide it by the number of parts you want. Then, use the protractor to mark the angles on the circumference and connect the points to create equal parts.

3. Can a circumference be divided into equal parts without any tools?

Yes, a circumference can be divided into equal parts without any tools. This method is called the chord method, where you use a string or a ruler to mark the circumference and divide it into equal parts by connecting the points with straight lines.

4. Is it possible to divide a circumference into equal parts without any measurements?

Yes, it is possible to divide a circumference into equal parts without any measurements. This method is called the geometric method, where you use geometric constructions to divide the circumference into equal parts.

5. How can I ensure that the parts are truly equal when dividing a circumference without a compass?

To ensure that the parts are truly equal when dividing a circumference without a compass, it is important to use precise and accurate measurements and constructions. It is also recommended to double-check the measurements and constructions to ensure the parts are as equal as possible.