How to finally run an input file via VISED/MCNP5 without error?

In summary, there is an issue with the geometry section of the MCNP5 simulation that the person is trying to run. They have received an error message and have tried troubleshooting by removing lines, but it seems to be a problem with the software itself. The speaker suggests double checking all inputs and trying a simpler geometry to rule out any other potential issues.
nuclearsneke
TL;DR Summary
MCNP and eof error
Howdy, my fellow nuclear colleagues!

I am new to MCNP5 and currently I am trying to simulate something simple like a sphere of UO2 to calculate its critical size.
Whenever I run my file via MCNP5 or Vised, I get an error message like

bad trouble in subroutine pass1 of imcn

unexpected eof in file uo2crit0

I understand that problem is somewhere in geometry sector, because when I cut off all the lines above the geometry section, visual editor still crashes with lines specified before.

Detes are in the files attached.

Attachments

• UO2crit0.txt
    262 bytes · Views: 164
  • uo2rest.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 170
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,

You have ? chars where I would expect empty lines. When I fix that it seems to work for me. Checked in Ljnux.

Likes nuclearsneke

Hello! Welcome to the forum. I am not an expert in MCNP5, but I have some experience with it. From the error message you provided, it seems like there is an issue with your geometry section. Have you checked all the inputs and made sure they are correct? Sometimes a small mistake in input values can cause errors like this. Also, have you tried running your file with a simpler geometry first, just to make sure the issue is not with the software itself? Let me know if you need any further help.

1. What is VISED/MCNP5?

VISED/MCNP5 is a computer code used for simulating and analyzing nuclear processes and radiation transport. It is commonly used in the field of nuclear engineering and physics.

2. How do I run an input file via VISED/MCNP5?

To run an input file via VISED/MCNP5, you will need to have the software installed on your computer. Once installed, you can open the program and select the input file you wish to run. Follow the instructions provided by the program to run the input file successfully.

3. What are common errors encountered when running an input file via VISED/MCNP5?

Some common errors when running an input file via VISED/MCNP5 include syntax errors in the input file, missing data or parameters, and incompatible input file versions. It is important to carefully check the input file for any errors before running it.

4. How can I troubleshoot errors when running an input file via VISED/MCNP5?

If you encounter errors when running an input file via VISED/MCNP5, you can refer to the program's documentation or user manual for troubleshooting tips. You can also seek help from online forums or consult with experienced users for assistance.

5. Are there any tips for running an input file via VISED/MCNP5 without errors?

Some tips for running an input file via VISED/MCNP5 without errors include carefully reviewing the input file for any mistakes, using the correct version of the program, and familiarizing yourself with the program's syntax and parameters. It is also helpful to start with simple input files and gradually increase complexity as you become more familiar with the program.