How to find alternative proofs?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding alternative proofs for theorems and the possibility of publishing them. The person has already written an alternative proof and is currently reviewing it with their professor. They have looked into 10 textbooks and plan to do a literature search in online journals for similar proofs. There is a discussion about the potential for publishing the proof, with the suggestion of submitting it to a journal or the arXiv. The conversation also touches on the importance of writing the proof well and getting feedback from experts in the field.
Absolutely. Jason is entirely free to do as he wishes. However, if he says 'I'm not going to do it because my professor doesn't, and I'm worried that it mean I can't get it in a journal if I do', then I'm going to correct the misapprehension of the second part. And point out that saying 'I won't do it because X doesn't' means I'm free to say 'but person Y does, so that's just a good a reason for putting it there as not putting it there'. If you have a good reason for not putting it there, fine, but don't use the 'oh he doesn't so I won't routine'; it's as weak as my 'but he does so should you' come back.

There are reasons for using it, and I'm sure you have reasons for not using too. Feel free to offer a different opinion. At least that way Jason can hear both sides of the argument for its use or non-use.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
matt grime said:
Why? Bother you to the point of you not putting things there? If it's good enough for Fields' Medallists...

I meant it in a why aren't they helping the academics kind of way and not in a I-won't-put-it-on-because-my-professor-doesn't kind of way.

The only reason why I can see them not publishing on arXiv is maybe because of journals they publish in, like you said, or because of funding issues, which I know nothing about and I know nothing about whether or not funding would prevent publication on arXiv. I can't think of any other reason.

I already decided that it would be the best thing to do.

Last edited:
Your repeated refusal to tell us at least the statement you have proved gives me a tiny feeling that you really haven't done anything at all, and are just posting this thread to sound smart.

That would explain why you aren't putting it on arVix, because then we should be able to see it. We wouldn't find it, you would be in a tricky spot.

So either tell us the statement, or we shall think you are pulling our legs.

Jason hasn't phyhsically been able to put it on the arXiv because, as he makes clear at several points, he hasn't written it up in LaTeX, irrespective of whether or not he wishes to use the service.

Well either way, not telling us the statement is suspicious.

matt grime said:
Jason hasn't phyhsically been able to put it on the arXiv because, as he makes clear at several points, he hasn't written it up in LaTeX, irrespective of whether or not he wishes to use the service.

I'm using the service. I don't think I can wait that too long for it to get published. Another plus, like you said, is the fact that it can be in any format. As long as it's nice and clean, I can post it on there.

Gib Z said:
Your repeated refusal to tell us at least the statement you have proved gives me a tiny feeling that you really haven't done anything at all, and are just posting this thread to sound smart.

That would explain why you aren't putting it on arVix, because then we should be able to see it. We wouldn't find it, you would be in a tricky spot.

So either tell us the statement, or we shall think you are pulling our legs.

I wrote an alternative proof to Tychonoff's Theorem.

Good luck!

I personally await reading it. :smile:

Hmm. Definitely a possibility to be interesting, even if the proof doesn't hold water.

Do you use the AoC directly?

ZioX said:
Hmm. Definitely a possibility to be interesting, even if the proof doesn't hold water.

Do you use the AoC directly?

Well, I don't use it directly.

At first it seemed like I had a gap in my proof that I couldn't overcome, but I wrote up a Lemma up for it now to patch it up.

It seems really solid right now though. I'll probably see my professor tomorrow to talk about it.

You should keep in mind that Tychonoff is equivalent to AoC in ZF set theory (IIRC).

morphism said:
You should keep in mind that Tychonoff is equivalent to AoC in ZF set theory (IIRC).

I am aware of that, but I haven't read into though. I do know this though, but it's not of my interest right now.

My proof does involve the Axiom of Choice though. Now that I think about how the set is being constructed, I'm certainly using the Axiom of Choice although you're choosing anything technically.

You'd have to wait and see. Hopefully I get things down and good soon so I can start writing it in LaTeX. I will put it on arXiv. I can't stand waiting around for responses.