How to find an integer solution to a nonlinear equation?

al4n
given something like: an = c
where c is given and a, n, and c are only allowed to be integers. how would one find the value of say n or a?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What have you found so far in your searching? It would seem that if you limit the LHS to integers, there are only solutions for specific choices of c, no?

The simplest approach is to find the prime factors of c.

Likes AndreasC and fresh_42
The easiest way is to just set ##a=c## and ##n=1##.

jedishrfu said:
The simplest approach is to find the prime factors of c.
thank you. this is very helpful. so I could write something like
an = 1000
= 2353
then like
a = 23/n53/n
and find values of n that result in whole number exponents. in this case 3, 1.

yes or you could look at ##a^n = 2^3 * 5^3 = (2 * 5)^3 ## and conclude a=10 and n=3

and of course the trivial case of a = 1000 and n=1

This equation also has the property that there is an infinite number of solutions only when ##c=0## or ##c=\pm 1## (can you prove this formally with mathematical induction or by some other way?).

1. How do I determine if a nonlinear equation has an integer solution?

One way to determine if a nonlinear equation has an integer solution is to graph the equation and see if it intersects with any integer points on the x and y axes. Another method is to use algebraic techniques to solve the equation and see if the resulting solution is an integer.

2. Can I use a calculator to find an integer solution to a nonlinear equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find an integer solution to a nonlinear equation. Many scientific calculators have a "solve" function that can be used to find the roots of an equation. However, it is important to note that calculators may not always provide the most accurate or complete solution.

3. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for finding integer solutions to nonlinear equations?

Yes, there are several techniques and strategies that can be used to find integer solutions to nonlinear equations. These include factoring, substitution, and graphing. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic algebra and number theory concepts.

4. What should I do if I cannot find an integer solution to a nonlinear equation?

If you are unable to find an integer solution to a nonlinear equation, it is possible that the equation does not have any integer solutions. In this case, you may need to use numerical methods or approximation techniques to find an approximate solution.

5. Can a nonlinear equation have more than one integer solution?

Yes, a nonlinear equation can have multiple integer solutions. This is because nonlinear equations can have multiple roots, which are the values that make the equation true. However, it is also possible for a nonlinear equation to have no integer solutions or only one integer solution.