How to find combination of values which comes out of P&C formulas

In summary, the formula $\displaystyle{C(n,r)=\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}}$ can be used to find the number of ways a sample of $r$ elements can be obtained from a larger set of $n$ distinguishable objects, where order does not matter and repetitions are not allowed. To find the number of all subsets of a set with $n$ elements, this formula can be applied for $r=0,1,2,...,n$. There are also various algorithms and resources available for generating combinations of elements.
rajemessage
Dear All,

like subsets {abc} can be found out using binary digits like

etc
etc.

how can i find the order of element for any combination which can be calulated useing following formula.
n!/r!(n-r)!

yours sincerley

Mathematics news on Phys.org
rajemessage said:
Dear All,

like subsets {abc} can be found out using binary digits like

etc
etc.

how can i find the order of element for any combination which can be calulated useing following formula.
n!/r!(n-r)!

yours sincerley

The formula $\displaystyle{C(n,r)=\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}}$ shows the number of ways a sample of “$r$” elements can be obtained from a larger set of “$n$” distinguishable objects where order does not count and repetitions are not allowed.Do you maybe want to find how many sets of $3$ elements can be created by using the digits $0$ and $1$ ?

mathmari said:
The formula $\displaystyle{C(n,r)=\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}}$ shows the number of ways a sample of “$r$” elements can be obtained from a larger set of “$n$” distinguishable objects where order does not count and repetitions are not allowed.Do you maybe want to find how many sets of $3$ elements can be created by using the digits $0$ and $1$ ?

like power set of {abc} can be found out using 3 digits of binary,
abc Subset
0 000 { }
1 001 {c}
2 010 {b}
3 011 {b,c}
4 100 {a}
5 101 {a,c}
6 110 {a,b}
7 111 {a,b,c}

in similar fashion i wanted to know the sets of $\displaystyle{C(n,r)=\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}}$

rajemessage said:
like power set of {abc} can be found out using 3 digits of binary,
abc Subset
0 000 { }
1 001 {c}
2 010 {b}
3 011 {b,c}
4 100 {a}
5 101 {a,c}
6 110 {a,b}
7 111 {a,b,c}

in similar fashion i wanted to know the sets of $\displaystyle{C(n,r)=\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}}$

You cannot find which subsets, only the number of them.

If you want to find the number of all the subsets of the set $\{a,b,c\}$:

The number of subsets with $0$ elements: $\displaystyle{C(3,0)=\frac{3!}{0!(3-0)!}=1}$

The number of subsets with $1$ elements: $\displaystyle{C(3,1)=\frac{3!}{1!(3-1)!}=\frac{3!}{2!}=3}$

The number of subsets with $2$ elements: $\displaystyle{C(3,2)=\frac{3!}{2!(3-2)!}=\frac{3!}{2!}=3}$

The number of subsets with $3$ elements: $\displaystyle{C(3,3)=\frac{3!}{3!(3-3)!}=1}$

mathmari said:

If you want to find the number of all the subsets of the set $\{a,b,c\}$:

The number of subsets with $0$ elements: $\displaystyle{C(3,0)=\frac{3!}{0!(3-0)!}=1}$

The number of subsets with $1$ elements: $\displaystyle{C(3,1)=\frac{3!}{1!(3-1)!}=\frac{3!}{2!}=3}$

The number of subsets with $2$ elements: $\displaystyle{C(3,2)=\frac{3!}{2!(3-2)!}=\frac{3!}{2!}=3}$

The number of subsets with $3$ elements: $\displaystyle{C(3,3)=\frac{3!}{3!(3-3)!}=1}$

how can i find the sets from following situation.
i have three numbers,{1 2 3} which will always be in this order {123},
i want to find out number of cases can be made,
but 2 can come at frist position that is before 1 or at second position or at
third position that is after 3.
and all are optional any link will be helpfull.
yours sincerly

Last edited:
mathmari said:
[snip]
Actually, there are many methods for generating the subsets. If you google "algorithms for generating combinations" you will find many hits. Here is one:
Algorithm to return all combinations of k elements from n - Stack Overflow

If you really want to read about the subject in depth, see Volume 4 of "The Art of Computer Programming" by Knuth. Section 7.2.1.3 is titled "Generating all combinations".

[edit] P.S. Clearly you don't want to try this by hand for large numbers of objects. Life is too short. [/edit]

Last edited:

Related to How to find combination of values which comes out of P&C formulas

1. What is the general formula for finding combinations?

The general formula for finding combinations is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n represents the total number of items and r represents the number of items being chosen.

2. How do I know when to use combinations instead of permutations?

Combinations are used when order does not matter in a group of items. Permutations, on the other hand, are used when order does matter. For example, choosing a group of 3 fruits from a basket would use combinations, while arranging 3 fruits in a specific order would use permutations.

3. Can I use combinations to solve real-life problems?

Yes, combinations can be used to solve real-life problems such as choosing a committee from a group of people, selecting a team for a sports event, or creating a password with a certain number of characters from a set of letters and numbers.

4. How do I find the number of combinations when repetition is allowed?

When repetition is allowed, the formula becomes n+r-1Cr, where n represents the number of items and r represents the number of items being chosen. For example, finding all possible 3-letter combinations from the letters A, B, and C would be 3+3-1C3 = 5C3 = 5!/3!(5-3)! = 10 combinations.

5. Can combinations be used to solve problems with more than two items being chosen?

Yes, combinations can be used to solve problems with any number of items being chosen. The formula remains the same, nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, but the values of n and r will change depending on the problem.