How to find domain of function in implicit form

I'll now write as a quadratic:\frac{4+4\left(x^2-x-1\right)}{4}\ge01+\frac{\left(x^2-x-1\right)}{1}\ge01+x^2-x-1\ge0
find_the_fun
What is the domain of \(\displaystyle y^2-2y=x^2-x-1\)? I don't know how to find it for implicit functions.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Express as a quadratic in $y$ in standard form, then write the inequality requiring the discriminant to be non-negative...what do you find?

MarkFL said:
Express as a quadratic in $y$ in standard form, then write the inequality requiring the discriminant to be non-negative...what do you find?

I think I get the idea but am a little stuck on how to express it as a quadratic. So \(\displaystyle y=1 \pm \frac{\sqrt{1-4(1)(-1)}}{2(1)}+2y\)

EDIT: what exactly do you mean express as a quadratic?

find_the_fun said:
What is the domain of \(\displaystyle y^2-2y=x^2-x-1\)? I don't know how to find it for implicit functions.

Complete the square on each of the x and y terms, it becomes a form you should recognise...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} y^2 - 2y &= x^2 - x - 1 \\ y^2 - 2y + \left( -1 \right) ^2 - \left( -1 \right) ^2 &= x^2 - x + \left( -\frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 - \left( -\frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 - 1 \\ \left( y - 1 \right) ^2 - 1 &= \left( x - \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 - \frac{1}{4} - 1 \\ \left( x - \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 - \left( y - 1 \right) ^2 &= \frac{1}{4} \\ \frac{ \left( x - \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 }{ \frac{1}{4}} - \frac{ \left( y - 1 \right) ^2 }{ \frac{1}{4}} &= 1 \\ \frac{ \left( x - \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 }{ \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 } - \frac{ \left( y - 1 \right) ^2}{ \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 } &= 1 \end{align*}$

This looks like the standard form of a hyperbola. Can you get the domain from it?

find_the_fun said:
I think I get the idea but am a little stuck on how to express it as a quadratic. So \(\displaystyle y=1 \pm \frac{\sqrt{1-4(1)(-1)}}{2(1)}+2y\)

EDIT: what exactly do you mean express as a quadratic?

What I mean is write the equation as:

\(\displaystyle y^2-2y-\left(x^2-x-1\right)=0\)

Now, require the discriminant to be non-negative:

\(\displaystyle (-2)^2-4(1)\left(-\left(x^2-x-1\right)\right)\ge0\)

\(\displaystyle 4+4\left(x^2-x-1\right)\ge0\)

\(\displaystyle 1+x^2-x-1\ge0\)

\(\displaystyle x^2-x\ge0\)

\(\displaystyle x(x-1)\ge0\)

Hence, the domain is:

\(\displaystyle (-\infty,0]\,\cup\,[1,\infty)\)

Thanks I get what you're doing. But how do you get from

to

?
MarkFL said:
What I mean is write the equation as:

\(\displaystyle y^2-2y-\left(x^2-x-1\right)=0\)

Now, require the discriminant to be non-negative:

\(\displaystyle (-2)^2-4(1)\left(-\left(x^2-x-1\right)\right)\ge0\)

\(\displaystyle x^2-x\ge0\)

\(\displaystyle x(x-1)\ge0\)

Hence, the domain is:

\(\displaystyle (-\infty,0]\,\cup\,[1,\infty)\)

find_the_fun said:
Thanks I get what you're doing. But how do you get from

to

?

I divided through by 4. :D

Related to How to find domain of function in implicit form

1. What is a domain in a function?

A domain in a function refers to the set of all possible input values for which the function is defined. It is the set of values that can be plugged into the function to get a valid output.

2. How do you find the domain of a function in implicit form?

To find the domain of a function in implicit form, you need to look at the entire equation and identify any restrictions on the input values. This may include values that result in a division by zero, square root of a negative number, or any other mathematical operation that is undefined. The remaining values will be the domain of the function.

3. Can the domain of a function in implicit form be infinite?

Yes, the domain of a function in implicit form can be infinite. This can happen when the function has no restrictions on the input values and is defined for all real numbers.

4. How can you determine if a function in implicit form has a restricted domain?

To determine if a function in implicit form has a restricted domain, you can look for any mathematical operations that result in undefined values. Examples include division by zero, taking the square root of a negative number, or taking the logarithm of a non-positive number. Additionally, if the function has a domain restriction explicitly stated in the equation, such as "x cannot equal 0", then the domain is restricted.

5. Is the process for finding the domain of a function in implicit form different from finding the domain of a function in explicit form?

The process for finding the domain of a function in implicit form is similar to finding the domain of a function in explicit form. However, in implicit form, you may need to use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable and determine any restrictions on the domain. In explicit form, the domain can usually be determined by looking at the expression after the function name.