How to Find the Longest Side of Triangle ABC with Given Medians?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ilikebugs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, in triangle ABC with a right angle at ∠ABC, the length of the longest side can be determined by finding the expression for AC in terms of x and y, where x is the length of the median AM and y is the length of the median CN. This can be done by using the Pythagorean theorem and solving the resulting system of equations. The final answer can be obtained by plugging in the solutions for x and y into the expression for AC.
Ilikebugs
In triangle ABC, ∠ABC = 90◦
. A median is drawn from A meeting BC at M such
that AM = 5. A second median is drawn from C meeting AB at N such that
CN = 2√10.
Determine the length of the longest side of triangle ABC

I have no idea where to even start on this one

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome, Ilikebugs! (Wave)

Let $BM = x$ and $NB = y$. Since $M$ is the median of $BC$, $BC = 2 BM = 2x$; since $N$ is the median of $AB$, $AB = 2NB = 2y$. Now try to do the following:

1. Find an expression for $AC$ in terms of $x$ and $y$ (Hint: Use the Pythagorean Theorem).
  2. Consider triangle ABM, and write an equation involving $x$ and $y$ using the Pythagorean theorem. Do the same for triangle $NBC$.
  3. Solve the resulting system of equations. Take your $x$-solution and $y$-solution, and plug it into the expression for $AC$ to obtain the answer.

Related to How to Find the Longest Side of Triangle ABC with Given Medians?

1. How do I find the missing sides or angles in a trigonometry problem?

To solve a trigonometry problem, you can use the trigonometric ratios sine, cosine, and tangent to find the missing sides or angles. You can also use the Pythagorean Theorem or the Law of Cosines and Law of Sines for more complex problems.

2. How do I determine which trigonometric ratio to use in a problem?

You can determine which trigonometric ratio to use by looking at the given information in the problem. If you are given an angle and a side, you can use sine, cosine, or tangent. If you are given two sides, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem or the Law of Cosines. If you are given two angles and a side, you can use the Law of Sines.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometry problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometry problems include forgetting to convert degrees to radians, using the wrong trigonometric ratio, and not using parentheses when substituting values into equations. It is also important to double check your work and make sure all calculations are accurate.

4. How can I check if my solution to a trigonometry problem is correct?

You can check if your solution to a trigonometry problem is correct by using a calculator to find the trigonometric ratio of the given angle or by using the inverse trigonometric functions to find the missing angle. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and label all sides and angles to visually confirm your solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving trigonometry problems more efficiently?

Some tips for solving trigonometry problems more efficiently include practicing and memorizing the common trigonometric ratios, understanding the unit circle and special triangles, and using the appropriate trigonometric ratio based on the given information. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and use diagrams to visualize the problem.