How to find the upper bound of an error by Taylor polynomial approximation

In summary, the upper bound of the error in Taylor polynomial approximation is determined by choosing the biggest value for $x$ and the smallest value for $c$, and $c$ can be any value between the given interval.
Granger
I'm struggling about finding a way to find the upper bound of the error of Taylor polynomial approximation. I will explain better using a solved example I found...

> $f: ]-3;+\infty[ \rightarrow \mathbb{R} $
$f(x)=ln(x+3) +1 $

>Find the upper bound of the error approximating the function in $[1,3]$ using a second degree Taylor polynomial with $(x-2)$ powers.

> $\textbf{Solution:}$

> By Taylor's theorem $\mid{f(x)-P_2(x)}\mid=\mid{R_2(x)}\mid$ and $R_2(x)$ is the Lagrange's rest.

>So $\mid{R_2(x)}\mid=\mid{\frac{f'''(c)(x-2)^3}{3!}}\mid$ with $c \in[2,x]$

> $\mid{R_2(x)}\mid< \mid{\frac{2(x-2)^3}{6(c+3)^3}}\mid=\frac{1}{3^4}$

So I'm having a lot of trouble with this question:

1 - How can I know in which set is $c$? I know that $c \in[2,x]$ and $x \in [1,3]$ but how do I pick this 2 sets and find one for the values of $c$ (the numerical values)... I hope I'm being clear...

2 - Ok I understand that we need to choose the biggest value for $x$ because we need the biggest numerator possible and we need to choose the smallest value for $c$ because we need the smallest denominator. And I understand why choosing $3$ for $x$ (it's the obvious option)... But why choosing $0$ for $c$? Again I think my doubts about this kind of exercises is to know the values for my $c$...

Can anyone help me to be more clarified about this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I can help you understand the process of finding the upper bound of the error in Taylor polynomial approximation. Let's break down the steps to make it easier to understand.

1. The value of $c$ in the given interval $[2,x]$ can be any number between 2 and $x$. This is because the Lagrange's remainder theorem states that there exists a value $c$ in the given interval such that the remainder term $R_n(x)$ is equal to the $n+1$th derivative of the function at that point. In this case, we are using a second degree Taylor polynomial, so we need to consider the third derivative of the function $f(x)$. This means that $c$ can be any value between 2 and $x$.

2. The reason we choose the biggest value for $x$ and the smallest value for $c$ is to ensure that the remainder term $R_2(x)$ is as small as possible. This is because the remainder term is in the denominator of the inequality, so a smaller value for $R_2(x)$ will result in a larger upper bound for the error.

3. The reason we choose $x=3$ is because it is the maximum value in the given interval $[1,3]$. This means that it will give us the largest possible numerator for $R_2(x)$. As for choosing $c=0$, it is not a specific value that we are choosing, it is just a placeholder to represent any value between 2 and $x$. So we can say that $c$ is a value between 2 and 3, which is essentially the same as saying $c=0$.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

1. How do I determine the degree of the Taylor polynomial for my approximation?

The degree of the Taylor polynomial is determined by the number of terms used in the polynomial. Generally, the higher the degree, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, using too high of a degree can also lead to overfitting and an inaccurate approximation. It is important to balance the degree with the level of accuracy needed for the specific problem.

2. What is the formula for finding the upper bound of the error in a Taylor polynomial approximation?

The formula for finding the upper bound of the error is:
E_n(x) = |f(x) - P_n(x)|
where E_n(x) is the upper bound of the error, f(x) is the original function, and P_n(x) is the Taylor polynomial approximation of degree n.

3. How do I choose the center point for my Taylor polynomial approximation?

The center point for the Taylor polynomial approximation should be chosen to be as close to the point of interest as possible. This helps to minimize the error in the approximation. In some cases, it may be necessary to use multiple center points to achieve a more accurate approximation.

4. Can I use a Taylor polynomial approximation for any function?

No, Taylor polynomial approximations can only be used for functions that are infinitely differentiable at the given point. This means that the function must have derivatives of all orders at that point. If the function is not infinitely differentiable, the Taylor polynomial will not accurately approximate the original function.

5. How can I determine if my Taylor polynomial approximation is accurate?

One way to determine the accuracy of a Taylor polynomial approximation is by comparing it to the actual values of the function. This can be done by plugging in values for x and comparing the results. Additionally, the remainder term in the Taylor polynomial formula can also give an indication of the accuracy of the approximation.