How to Find the Volume of a Cubic FCC Unit Cell Using X-Ray Diffraction Data

• Thread starter Dampi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ray
In summary, the question is about finding the volume of a unit cell of cubic FCC copper using X-ray data measured at a specific wavelength. To find the volume, the lattice constant (a) is needed, which can be found using Bragg's Law and the Miller indices of the planes. The peaks in the data correspond to specific crystallographic planes, which can be indexed using a constant value. This is explained in detail in the paper "X-Ray Diffraction Studies of Copper Nanopowder". Once the peaks are indexed, the lattice constant can be calculated from each peak and an average can be taken to determine the volume (a^3).
Dampi
The question I'm confused about it below:-

A unit cell of copper is cubic FCC. X ray data was measured at Lambda= 1.5406 angstroms. What is the volume?

I think to find volume, I need to find lattice constant which is the length of the unit cell.

The peaks were given and they are at 43, 50.5, 74, 90 and 95 degrees. These are angles of 2Theta.

Do I need to find the crystallographic planes which the angles are reflected from? If so how?

I know how to use Bragg's Law and find d spacing. 2dsin(theta)= n(Lambda). Also d= a/SQRT(l^2 + k^2 + h^2) where a is the lattice constant. and l, h and k are Miller indices of the plane.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think as you mentioned, first you need to index the peaks then find 'a' from each peak and take a average of all 'a's. Then a3 will be the volume.
You can index easily.
please see this paper..
you will know how to index peaks:
http://arxiv.org/a/thirugnanasambandan_t_1

see 'X-Ray Diffraction Studies of Copper Nanopowder'

I hope your problem will be solved.

Thanx for the reply.

How do you find that constant (on the paper) to divide by so that 3rd column becomes an integer? (eg. 46=184-138) ??

i don't have all of the data from x ray diffraction. how do u assign the peaks to the specific planes? so confused :(

Oh it is clearly mentioned in that paper..
you need to find a constant (any constant) such that 3rd col. will becomes an integer..you have to try..1st take the 1st value (138), then 2nd (184), then 3rd (366),then the difference between 1st and 2nd..
Homework problem: Just play with it...you will get a const.
and now you know whether FCC or BCC and therefore you know which is allowed and forbidden reflections.
Now you can tell the reflection...for eg., 3 has 1 1 1, 4 has 2 0 0, etc (see remarks in that paper)

Last edited:

1. How do I measure the lattice parameter of a cubic FCC unit cell?

The lattice parameter of a cubic FCC unit cell can be measured using X-ray diffraction data. The distance between the diffraction peaks in the X-ray diffraction pattern can be used to calculate the lattice parameter using the Bragg equation.

2. What is the relationship between the lattice parameter and the unit cell volume?

The lattice parameter is one of the parameters that determines the volume of a unit cell. In a cubic FCC unit cell, the lattice parameter is equal to the length of one side of the unit cell. Therefore, the volume of the unit cell can be calculated by cubing the lattice parameter.

3. Can I use X-ray diffraction data to calculate the volume of a non-cubic unit cell?

Yes, X-ray diffraction data can be used to calculate the volume of any unit cell, not just cubic FCC unit cells. However, the calculations may be more complex for non-cubic unit cells, as they have more than one lattice parameter.

4. How accurate is the volume calculated using X-ray diffraction data?

The accuracy of the volume calculated using X-ray diffraction data depends on the accuracy of the measurements and the assumptions made in the calculations. It is important to carefully calibrate the X-ray diffraction instrument and to use precise measurement techniques to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any limitations to using X-ray diffraction data to calculate the volume of a unit cell?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using X-ray diffraction data to calculate the volume of a unit cell. The sample must be crystalline and the X-ray diffraction pattern must be of high enough quality to accurately measure the lattice parameter. Additionally, the unit cell must be a simple shape, such as a cube or a sphere, for the volume to be easily calculated.