How to find unique solution of X

• Thread starter sudipta4
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with two matrix equations involving 3x3 matrices and 3x1 column vectors. The solution is over-defined and can only be found if a certain condition is satisfied. The conversation also explored using a constrained minimization method to find a solution, but it was determined that no solutions exist for the given values.
sudipta4
Hi All,

I have a simple problem

consider two matrix equations
A1X=B1
A2X=B2

A1 and A2 are 3X3 matrix. Moreover, A2 is a positive, definite, symmetric matrix. B1 and B2 are two 3X1 column vectors. The A1, A2, B1, B2 are known. I need to find unique solution of X vector from these two equations. Is there any suitable way to do that?

Can I do it by using Lagrange multiplier? It is not a homework problem. I am struggling this by two days but didn't get success.

Thanks in advance

Best
Sudipta

Physics news on Phys.org
Your system is over-defined, Each of your two matrix equations represents three equations, so you have a total of 6 equations and only three unknowns. Let's assume A1 and A2 are non-singular. Unless:
[tex]A2^{-1}B2 = A1^{-1} B1[/tex]
there is no solution. If this is satisfied, then
[tex] X = A2^{-1}B2 = A1^{-1} B1[/tex]

Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply.

Actually, I want to use first equation is a constraint for second one. If so how do I combine the first equation with the second equation by some constrained minimization method like Lagrange multiplier method.

in fact, my two matrices are
A1=[[-1 -1 0] [1 0 -1] [0 1 1]]
A2=[[a11 a12 a13] [a12 a22 a23] [a13 a23 a33]]

can you give some clue, how do I proceed?

Do you know B1 and B2? If so, what are they?

it A2 is positive definite, it s nonsingular, you have a unique solution of A2X = B2.

If that solution does not satisfy A1X = B1, you need to reconsider what you are really trying to do here. You can't "do something impossible" by trying to use A1X = B1 as constraint equations, or whatever.

I know the values of B1 and B2 but they are different
B1=[-12.212 0.56 0.65]

B2=[-68.49 -68.49 0.0]
Also the A2 matrix is
A2=[[151.8 2.4 -149.4][2.4 151.8 149.4] [-149.4 149.4 298.8]]

These values are related with my system

Last edited:
It's easy to see that no solutions to your problem exist. Expand your equation A1 X = B1, to get:
-x1 - x2 = b1
x1 - x3 = b2
x2 + x3 = b3

Now add all three equations together, giving 0 = b1 + b2 + b3. Your B1 does not satisfy this equation. Therefore no solutions exist.

Yes, phyzguy, you are right. I know that. Moreover, A1 is rank deficient and determinant of A2 is 0. therefore, it will not be giving a solution in a simple way. but i need that solution. please help me out in this regard. please give me some clue if anyone aware about this kind of problem.

1. How do I determine if a solution for X is unique?

To determine if a solution for X is unique, you need to solve the equation or system of equations for X. If the solution is a single value or set of values that satisfy all the equations, then the solution is unique. However, if there are multiple solutions that satisfy the equations, then the solution is not unique.

2. What are the steps for finding a unique solution for X?

The steps for finding a unique solution for X will vary depending on the specific equation or system of equations. However, in general, you will need to manipulate the equations to isolate the variable X and then solve for its value. It may also be helpful to check your solution by substituting it back into the original equations to ensure it satisfies all of them.

3. Can a system of equations have more than one unique solution for X?

No, a system of equations can only have one unique solution for X. This is because a unique solution means that there is only one set of values that satisfies all the equations. If there were multiple unique solutions, it would mean that the equations are not consistent and do not have a single solution that satisfies all of them.

4. Are there any special cases where a unique solution for X cannot be found?

Yes, there are some cases where a unique solution for X cannot be found. This can happen when the equations are inconsistent, meaning they have no solution that satisfies all of them, or when the equations are dependent, meaning they are essentially the same equation and have an infinite number of solutions.

5. Is there a specific method or technique for finding a unique solution for X?

There are various methods and techniques for finding a unique solution for X, such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. The most appropriate method will depend on the type of equations you are dealing with. It is important to carefully analyze the equations and choose the most efficient method for solving them.