How to focus and direct microwaves?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of building a microwave powered toy helicopter and the potential dangers and limitations associated with it. It is determined that a directed beam of microwaves, known as radar, would be necessary to power the helicopter, but it would pose a great danger if it were to hit someone's eye. The topic is deemed dangerous and against PF rules, and the thread is closed.
SummerFuse
I am interested in building a microwave powered toy helicopter purely for the fun of it. As we have discovered in our initial research, it isn't possible to direct the microwaves from a microwave oven magnetron too far. I know that those microwaves are of a similar wavelength (or is it?) What are my options?

By the way, we haven't started building yet.

Science news on Phys.org
A directed beam of microwaves it called radar. But a beam of radar powerful enough to run a helicopter would be a great danger if it hit someone's eye.

Dangerous topics are against PF rules.

Welcome to PF!

Yikes! What you propose is very dangerous and probably illegal and very dangerous. I urge you not to attempt it because you have very good odds of injuring or killing yourself. Per PF rules (for safety and liability reasons), this thread is closed.

Likes davenn

1. How do microwaves work?

Microwaves are a type of electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths ranging from about 1 millimeter to 1 meter. When microwaves are produced by a microwave oven, they are directed into the food and cause water molecules to vibrate, producing heat. This heat cooks the food.

2. How can I focus microwaves to a specific area?

To focus microwaves to a specific area, you can use a microwave antenna. This device is designed to direct the microwaves in a specific direction, similar to how a flashlight focuses light. Another method is to use a reflective surface, such as a metal sheet, to reflect the microwaves towards the desired area.

3. What is the difference between focusing and directing microwaves?

While focusing and directing microwaves may seem similar, there is a slight difference between the two. Focusing refers to concentrating the microwaves on a specific point or area, while directing refers to controlling the direction in which the microwaves travel.

4. Can microwaves be harmful to humans?

Microwaves used in household appliances, such as microwave ovens, are generally safe for humans. However, exposure to high levels of microwaves, such as in industrial settings, can be harmful and cause tissue damage. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when working with high-powered microwaves.

5. How can I measure the power and intensity of microwaves?

The power and intensity of microwaves can be measured using a microwave power meter. This device measures the strength of the microwaves in terms of watts or decibels. It is important to use a calibrated power meter to ensure accurate readings.