How to inverse surface integral of a vector field

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use the value of a double integral over a surface to compute a vector field. It is suggested to use small circumferences or other small surfaces to calculate the components of the vector field. The other person expresses gratitude for the help and the expert notes that different types of surfaces can be used for convenience.
Sify
Assume that I know the value of [tex]\iint_{S} \overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n} dS[/tex] over any surface in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex], where [tex]\overrightarrow{F}(x,y,z)[/tex] is a vector field in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] and [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] is the normal to the surface at any point considered.
Using that I would like to compute [tex]\overrightarrow{F}[/tex]. How can this be done?

P.S. I think I suffices to know [tex]\iint_{S} \overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n} dS[/tex] over the planes perpendicular to the axes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a small circumference centered at a point x_0, with radius R and normal directed along a generic direction n (|n|=1):

[tex]S(\mathbf^{x}_0,R,\mathbf{n})=\{\mathbf{x}\in\mathbb{R}^3:(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}_0)\cdot\mathbf{n}=0,|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}_0|<R\}[/tex]

then, if F is sufficiently smooth, you can calculate it's components

[tex]\mathbf{F}(\mathbf{x}_0)\cdot\mathbf{n}=\lim_{R\rightarrow 0}\,\,\frac{1}{\pi R^2}\,\,\int_{S(\mathbf^{x}_0,R,\mathbf{n})} \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{S}[/tex]

Last edited:
Great!
This works perfectly. Thank You.

Sify said:
Great!
This works perfectly. Thank You.

Glad to help. Note that you are not forced to take small circumferences, but every small surface you like, depending on what's more useful: squares, triangles...

Related to How to inverse surface integral of a vector field

1. What is a surface integral of a vector field?

A surface integral of a vector field is a mathematical operation that calculates the total flux (flow) of a vector field over a given surface. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the vector field at each point on the surface.

2. Why would I need to inverse a surface integral of a vector field?

Inversing a surface integral of a vector field is useful for finding the original vector field that produced a certain flux over a given surface. It is also used in various physics and engineering applications to solve problems involving vector fields.

3. What is the process for inversing a surface integral of a vector field?

The process for inversing a surface integral of a vector field involves solving the integral equation for the original vector field. This can be done by using various mathematical techniques such as Green's theorem, Stokes' theorem, or the divergence theorem.

4. Are there any limitations or restrictions for inversing a surface integral of a vector field?

Yes, there can be limitations and restrictions when inversing a surface integral of a vector field. For example, if the vector field is not continuous or has singular points on the surface, the inverse may not exist. Additionally, the surface must be closed and have a well-defined boundary for the inverse to be calculated.

5. Can inversing a surface integral of a vector field be done numerically?

Yes, it is possible to numerically approximate the inverse of a surface integral of a vector field using numerical integration methods. However, this may not always be accurate and the result may depend on the chosen numerical method and parameters.